Mandriva 2006 Free installation types

Guest derfeus

Guest derfeus

Hello out there!

Is there a document describing the differences between the pre-defined install types available when installing Mandriva 2006 Free? When I install using the 'High' option, I make the following changes to the default package selections:

Remove Office

Remove Multimedia

Add Network client

Add Network server

Add firewall/router

When installation is complete, I find that shorewall is installed with a sample configuration in place. I simply tweak the config files to meet my needs and shorewall works perfectly.

When I install using the 'Standard' option, I make the exact same package selections as above, but this time shorewall is not installed. So I install manually and I find that the sample configuration is not available - the config files are all blank. (except for the comments provided as documentation)

I restore the config files from another installation but shorewall won't start because the star script is referencing files that don't exist in a folder that doesn't exist - /etc/ifw. Turns out this package isn't installed.

This all leads me to a few questions that I was hoping some of you could answer for me:

• What are the differences between Standard and High in terms of the packages that are installed
  • Why would sample configuration be missing when I install Shorewall manually
  • Is the ifw (interactive firewall) package required for shorewall? If so, why wouldn't the RPM installation list it as a requirement?

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks...

-Fred.

[moved from Installing Mandriva - arctic. Welcome aboard! :)]