Sound Juicer

RadioEar

All of the sudden, sound Juicer Stops working, the only thing does is gives me this error message;

Sound Juicer could not extract this CD.
Reason: Could not link pipeline

Link to pipeline? And why doesn't it work now? This happens on any audio CD I try to rip.

Edit in; I'll try to expand on this a little. After installing Mandriva 2007, Sound Juicer running under KDE, worked just fine but stopped working without any notice. All other rippers works just fine.

Edited by RadioEar

And speaking of things to go wrong, so far I have come up with a big zero on this one. pipe line? Why should that be a problem now? I'm beginning to think maybe Mandriva is designed to break down after a while. Why should a application ever have pipe line trouble?

I googled "Reason: Could not link pipeline" and the first result had a link to this thread where I found what may be the answer in this post. Do a search in the software installer for gstreamer-lame or just lame (but look for the gstreamer plugin) and also gstreamer-mad (same deal with the name - may be different). Then follow the rest of the instructions in that post:

2. Open Sound Juicer, click ?€œPreferences?€? from the ?€œEdit Menu?€?, click ?€œEdit Profiles?€? and choose ?€œNew?€?. Call your new profile ?€œMP3 Encoding?€?, or whatever else you feel like. :mp3-profile.png

3. Edit this profile and set Gstreamerpipeline to

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc bitrate=160 ! id3v2mux

or

audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc vbr=0 bitrate=192

(The last number specifies the quality of the file, a larger number means better quality, but larger file size. Optionally, you can change 160 to something else (e.g. 192, 256) if you want a specific (constant) bitrate other than the default of 160).

4. Additionally, if you are using Ubuntu 6.06 and would like to encode MP3s using the [WWW] ?€œ?€“preset standard?€?, the Gstreamer pipline should be set to audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc preset=1001 ! id3v2mux

5. Finally, set File Extension to mp3, click the Active checkbox and then OK.

6. Restart Sound Juicer for the changes to take effect.

Well, that didn't work either...
We could use a bit more information than that. Did you ensure that the lame gstreamer plugin was installed? Could you try running it from the command line and see if it gives anymore output aside from the pipeline error? Perhaps try removing any configuration files (should be in your home directory under .grip, IIRC), then restarting grip.

OK... Sound Juicer is now working... again. And I don't know why, for sure. At this point I'm trying to think what I have done recently, to cause the trouble. This

Post is the only thing I can come up with. Media Applet has a list of medium types, for example; "Audio CD", which I now have unchecked. So now Media Applet does not come up when I insert a audio CD. If MA comes up on screen, I have in the past chosen "Do nothing" and "OK". Sound Juicer then does it's job. At some point SJ started having trouble linking to Gstreamer , for some reason. Now if choose "Cancel", then SJ takes off and does, once again, it's job.

Is there another program running because of MA giving SJ competition for the pipeline to Gstreamer?

By choosing "Cancel", kills the link from this other program?

I could be all wet here but I can't for all the tea in China figure why SJ quit working in the first place, and now works if I can keep MA from coming up.

Well, since we didn't fix it, and now that it's fixed we can't really troubleshoot the problem anymore, and we don't know how it was fixed, it seems that you probably won't get an (absolutely, positively correct) answer as to what was wrong in the first place. The people who write SJ might be able to help you figure it out, you could try contacting them if you absolutely need an answer. We could probably make a few "educated guesses", but really that's the best we can do at this point.

My guess, if you want it (actually, you're getting it anyways), is that your assumptions are correct. MA was trying to pass access off to some pre-configured process or program while SJ was trying to access the device. My guess would be that it may have been giving access to artsd, if you have that running, possibly to play it or in some cases you can access a media cd from your file manager (konqueror) - it basically shows a list of audio files (that don't actually exist, yet) allowing you to copy them to your hard drive (essentially ripping the cd from the file manager). This may have some how caused problems with SJ, especially since SJ is GNOME-based and using gstreamer where as konqueror and other KDE apps would be attempting to access it via artsd, the KDE sound daemon.