Possible to auto switch single/dual screen setup?

holr

Hi,

I have been running beryl 2.0 very nicely on my ibm t43p laptop (ati graphics card) for a while now. Even managed to get dual screen running on it too (by limiting the total width of the two screens to 2048). However, I have two "profiles", one, where I am in the office, I use the dual screen setup - a custom xorg.conf forcing the two monitors to 1024x768 (as my graphics card only has a maximum texture size of 2048 - "glxinfo -l grep TEXTURE_SIZE). When I am anywhere else, I need to use just the one screen on the laptop, which has a native resolution of 1400x1050. For which needs another xorg.conf not limiting it to 1024x768.

When I boot the system in single display mode, the xorg.conf is still hard-coded for the low resolution of 1024x768 and dual screens, as such, I manually drop down into the command line every time to switch between two different xorg's.

Is there a way of automatically querying the monitors, before X loads up proper, and based on the outcome, replacing the xorg.conf with the one best suited (i.e. a "single screen" xorg.conf if only one monitor is found, a "dual screen" xorg.conf if an external is found etc).

I know with aticonfig you can query which monitors are connected, but as this can only be run once X has loaded, it does seem a bit redundant....

One way of switching from one xorg.conf to another is by setting up several boot profiles in lilo. You can create two boot profiles in /etc/lilo.conf and add PROFILE=profile1 and PROFILE=profile2 to the append insruction. You must run the command

lilo -v

as root every time you change lilo.conf. It is then possible to poll the current profile from /etc/rc.local by looking at the content of the file /etc/netprofile/current and change the content of xorg.conf accordingly. You don't even need to change the file itself, symlinking xorg.conf to xorg.conf.dual_screen or xorg.conf.internal_lcd should do the trick.

Check the location of all files mentioned before you start doing anything, they might be in a different location or have a different name - my system is not the latest one.

I thought you could include bash code in .xinitrc

in your home folder

maybe also /etc/rc.local if that is run before X (cannot remember for sure)

so you could ask a question there as well

Correct, but the script must somehow find out which X profile needs to be loaded. If there were a way to autodetect the number and type of monitors connected from within a bash script, that would be easy, but I am not aware of such a thing.

autodetect the number and type of monitors connected

I was just thinking of use choosing profile 1 or 2 at boot

SUrely he/she will now how many monitor are present that day

hence

so you could ask a question there as well

I like the lilo solution, I was just thinking at what lower level, last chance, to do the choice

autodetect the number and type of monitors connected from within a bash script, that would be easy, but I am not aware of such a thing

good question... never thought of that

I know Xorg.0.log tell you what screen was detected

so one would need to start X do some magic with grep with Xorg.0.log

then restart X with the right profile...

Cannot think of anything else

surely that info can be accessed via command lshw or via /proc

I do not know