CUPs and PrinterDrake problems

jbuckley2004

I had cups (and hplip) installed successfully once, so I know this can be done on my setup.

I seem to be having a problem now with either CUPS-1.2.4 or with PrinterDrake.

When cups is installed and I bring up printerdrake from the MCC, it immediately starts looking for the default printer. It doesn't find it, because there is none, locally anyway, and printerdrake seems to hang.

The log shows:

15:21:37 printerdrake[6887]: modified file /etc/sysconfig/printing 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: /etc/rc.d/init.d/cups status 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: /sbin/chkconfig --del cups 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lpr 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/lpr-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpr 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lpq 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/lpq-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpq 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lprm 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/lprm-cups to /etc/alternatives/lprm 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lp 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/lp-cups to /etc/alternatives/lp 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display cancel 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/cancel-cups to /etc/alternatives/cancel 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lpstat 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/bin/lpstat-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpstat 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display accept 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/accept-cups to /etc/alternatives/accept 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display disable 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/disable-cups to /etc/alternatives/disable 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display enable 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/enable-cups to /etc/alternatives/enable 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lpc 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/lpc-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpc 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display lpmove 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/lpmove-cups to /etc/alternatives/lpmove 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: running: update-alternatives --display reject 
15:21:38 printerdrake[6887]: symlinked file /usr/sbin/reject-cups to /etc/alternatives/reject 
15:24:48 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v 
15:28:02 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v 
15:31:11 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v 
15:34:20 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v 
15:35:51 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v 
15:39:39  last message repeated 3 times
15:42:48 printerdrake[6887]: running: lpstat -l -p -v

which shows me that although everything seems frozen, it isn't. Note that lpstat is being re-run every three minutes, but not returning anything. Between the second and third running of lpstat above, the configuration screen did update, but was still effectively frozen after that. If I try this when cups isn't installed, then it dutifully installs it and gets stuck at the same place.

What I think I'd like to do is to tell printerdrake to not look for a default printer, but let me configure cups to find it on a networked machine.

How can I do this?

Thanks

• 11 months later...
Guest hackhound

I am having the same issue with a fresh install of Mandriva 2008. I have uninstalled both CUPS and PrinterDrake in the hopes that would clean things up, but after installing PrinterDrake again, it insists on installing CUPS.

Getting the printer set up is the last thing that I have left to configure, and this is driving me crazy.

Thanks in Advance

Hackhound

I am having the same issue with a fresh install of Mandriva 2008. I have uninstalled both CUPS and PrinterDrake in the hopes that would clean things up, but after installing PrinterDrake again, it insists on installing CUPS.

First of all, removing and reinstalling applications to try and resolve a problem is the old windows method, and rarely ever works to resolve an issue when using Linux.

One of printerdrake's dependencies is CUPS, that's why it insist on installing it.

Now, in order for us to help you with this, we need to know what model of printer you're trying to set up? Is the printer on another networked system? If so, what is the OS on that system?

Welcome to the board! :)

• 3 months later...
Guest Linux_Lover

Printerdrake works with CUPS on my Mandriva 2008 box with a networked Brother MFC-420CN. I couldn't get the printer to work with apps with CUPS alone, even though I could print test pages from the CUPS printer administration screen. After I installed printerdrake, I could print from apps like Kword, etc.

Guest Rachel
First of all, removing and reinstalling applications to try and resolve a problem is the old windows method, and rarely ever works to resolve an issue when using Linux.

One of printerdrake's dependencies is CUPS, that's why it insist on installing it.

Now, in order for us to help you with this, we need to know what model of printer you're trying to set up? Is the printer on another networked system? If so, what is the OS on that system?

Welcome to the board! :)

I also see this on my newly installed Mandriva 2008. I run printerdrake and it hangs saying "Setting Default Printer". It doesn't seem to install CUPS though, I had to install that manually -- which did not effect the problem.

I am trying to set up a network printer, there are three that I could connect to here, but I have not selected any of them, as I cannot get past the "Setting Default Printer" faze. I have another coworker who has installed the same version of Mandriva and was able to connect to one of the network printers without running into this issue. The printers are all on the same subnet (my ip: 10.2.11.***, the printers are 10.2.100.12 10.2.100.13 and 10.2.100.14). There is not printer connected to my local computer.

The printers are:

10.2.100.11 Dell 5210

10.2.100.12 HPLJ5000

10.2.100.13 LJ4550

10.2.100.14 Sharp MX-3501N

but I don't think printerdrake is even getting that far.

I'm happy to answer more questions in order to get this resolved.

Cheers,

-r-

Edited by Rachel

Guest Rachel

Okay, so I was able to get to that page and add two of the printers (HP Laser Jet 500N, HP Color LaserJet 4550N) and I was able to print test pages from that interface. BUT I am still unable to print from any other application. If, from firefox, I go to file->print then the application is hung and nothing is printed. I also tried printing from xpdf, and that was unable to print also. Not sure if this is a different issue? Oddly this is the exact same issue I had on my last computer running RH9, and was the reason I got a new computer and installed this new OS. So perhaps it is something that I am propagating in my system somehow.

Thanks for your help,

--Rachel