installing Mandriva in a intel s5000psl

Guest txino

Guest txino

Hi all!

I've been using Mandriva for quit a wile (my first one was Mandrake 6.2) and until now I always managed to do everything without bothering anybody.

I 'm working in a Bioinformatics Laboratory and all our computers (workstations, servers and clusters nodes) use Mandriva. Recently we bought a new computer:

Procesors: Dual Xeon Quat core (so a total of 8 processors in the same mainboard smile.gif~ )

mainboard: Intel S5000PSL with embedded raid 0,1,10 SATA

memory: 8Gb DDR2

DVD: DVD-RW

floppy: Damn No! I completly forgot

HD: 2xWD Raptor 150Gb 10000RPM!

I configured the raid bios for creating one raid 0 array with the two discs, and then I booted the computer with the mandriva free installation dvd. When the hard disk partitioning stage is reached it displays some message saying:

"installing Intel controller ... (something) CC RAID = " and then the disc utility appears, but instead of seeing 1 HD of 300Gb (2x150 configured in RAID 0) I see the 2 HD (sda, sdb)

I 've been talking with Intel support and they have sent me the source code of the drivers, but they come with a library which is already compiled and I don't have the source code.

there are 2 libraries one for read hat enterprise linux and another for suse linux enterprise server. Whit both libraries it compiles perfectly and I get the drivers (megasr.o and megasr.ko) (I performed the compilation in an opteron computer with mandriva 2007 x86_64 installed on it)

I booted again mandriva free 2007 installation DVD and I presed F3 (other options) F5 (driver) and I selected file and I writed the names of the file(s), after that i selected text install. Then the kernel loads in memory and a message in the screen ask me to eject the mandriva dvd, put a cd with the drivers and then put again the original mandriva dvd, after doing that the system starts to boot until I get a kernel panic and it says something about couldn't mount root partition. I tried with the .ko module alone, with the .o module, with the RH, with the Suse ones and nothing.

Any Idea how I can solve this problem?

at least any Idea how can I mount an USB when I'm in the console (alt-f2) of the installation program?

thank you very much!

txino !.!.

You need a module that is already compiled so that you can boot and supply this module during installation. Normally it's a:

linux dd

command to boot the system to ask for a driver disk, usually from CD nowadays. If you don't have the driver, you won't be able to use the raid functionality of your card.

Alternatively, might be worthwhile checking the hardware compatibility of Fedora Core 6 to see if it supports your raid controller. Or a distro running a later kernel than Mandriva 2007.

Otherwise, you'll not be able to install it how you want.

EDIT:

I deleted your duplicate post. Please don't post the same problem twice, thanks :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest txino

I have this module. Actually I have the compiled modules (megasr.ko and megasr.o) and I also have an driver disk (floppy) with some files provided by intel.

The problem is that this Mainboard does not have a port for floppy disks so I have to use an USB floppy and it seems that it is not seen by the mandriva install DVD boot loader, and nothing happens when I boot with the option linux dd.

I also tried to load the module manually before the hard drive detection, but the usb devices (/dev/sdc or /dev/sdd for floppy and for usb) do not appear int de /dev directory until the hard drive detection is done.

any Idea?

thankyou!

txino !.!.

any Idea

I've had similar problems with Red Hat. I put the files on CD instead, then when I was asked to provide the driver disk, I had them read from the CD. It prompts me to change the CD first to be able to load the driver, and then go back to the install afterwards.

The linux dd command is what I use in Linux. I don't have a Mandriva CD to hand right now, but I'm pretty sure there is a driver option in there so you can load your module for your raid controller.

Guest txino

first of all THANKYOU for helping me!

I've tried with the cdrom, as I said in my first post i used the f3-f5 to give its a driver but if i give the "megasr.o" or "megasr.ko" I get a kernel panic and if i give the driverdisk.img I get a message saying that this file is not in the cdrom! (which it is!)

I'm realy desperate! right now I'm trying to get a question from mandriva install application before it starts to detect the HD. In some computers with the same install DVD It asks me:

I found this controller "Intel SATA RAID bla bla bla" Do you have another one?

an then I can chose NO an manually select another driver

see you!

txno !.!.

• 2 months later...

In case you haven't gotten anywhere with this:

http://www.lsi.com/cm/DownloadSearch.do?locale=EN

check this. I've been trying to get Gentoo working on exactly the same board and cannot, however, you can download the somewhat 40MB source and bundled drivers for Red Hat/SLES. I should now be able to get it working on Gentoo, and maybe there is some way you can get Mandriva going.

Alternatively, if you disable the onboard raid support, the card works perfectly fine, but then you have to use software raid within Linux instead.

• 4 months later...
Guest MarcoDias

Hi ,

Did you receive the source code, megasr.c? I am trying to install in a Scientific Linux, but i will have to compile. Can you send this source to me, please?

Thanks in advanced,

Marco