mandriva 2007 powerpack issues

Guest The Pagan

Guest The Pagan

So. Bought the powerpack DVD and i'm trying to install it on my laptop. I've got an HP dv2000 with the turion 64 X2 with nvidia chipset and when I try to install it loads the kernel and I get the black screen. I can't disable the secondary core, noapic nolapic and acpi=off don't do anything. I haven't been able to find any info here that might work.

Any ideas?

Pagan

If you get the first screen, try using vga low or a setting like that. If you do not get the first splash screen, where it says boot installation or boot hard drive, or a whole list of other choices, then I have no idea what to do. It might be possible to download the first cd, just o see if the cd is bad. A basic install could be performed and then use the dvd as a source to install more of the system. But it is a lot of work.

Guest The Pagan
If you get the first screen, try using vga low or a setting like that. If you do not get the first splash screen, where it says boot installation or boot hard drive, or a whole list of other choices, then I have no idea what to do. It might be possible to download the first cd, just o see if the cd is bad. A basic install could be performed and then use the dvd as a source to install more of the system. But it is a lot of work.

I get no post-selection boot screen. I have tried selecting vgalo, hi, basically all of them, even text mode install. As soon as I hit enter it loads the kernel then I get a black screen. Is the Nvidia GeForce Go 6150 not supported during installation? I'm going to try and download the Mandriva 2007 free version to see if I can get that to work. I've read that both 32 and 64 bit come on the DVD, but is it possible that the 32bit installation is default for some reason? I got the same problem trying to use the backtrack 2 livecd as well, which is 32bit only. I'm pretty sure that this has something to do with the videocard, since the harddisk continues to chug along like its starting the installation for some time before stopping. I even tried to let it go with the DVD in all night while I slept to see if the screen would pop up after a few hours... nothing...

Where can I find a copy of the CD version of powerpack 64bit? The store doesn't have anything but the DVD's...

Raab

The CD normally detects and installs the version based on your system architecture. Therefore if you have a 64 bit system, it'll run the 64 bit installer. However, since you'll get no benefit from it, you're better off using the 32 bit version, since everything works properly in this.

Unless you're gonna be running true 64 bit applications, it's not worth having the 64 bit system installed.

Unfortunately I dunno how to help you on your processor. I've never installed on one of these. My Intel Core 2 Duo had problems with a black screen after booting from the CD, and I had to disable the second core to get the CD to boot and install the OS properly. No idea if this is similar to your issue or not, or whether you can disable some processor functionality in the BIOS temporarily while you install.