Problem with booting after Install [solved]

Guest Burrigan

Guest Burrigan

Hi there, new to Linux and trying to get Mandriva up and running on my machine (sick of windows!).

I'm installing Mandriva 2007 Free, and the install seemed to go fine, but upon booting I get the following:

Trying to resume from /dev/mapper/isw_baefjghdc_ARRAY5
Unable to access resume device (/dev/mapper/iso_baefjghdc_ARRAY5)
echo: cannot open /proc/suspend2/do_recume for write:2
Mounting root filesystem /dev/root
mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags defaults
well, retrying without the option flags
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
well, retrying with read-only without any flag
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
Switching to new root
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!!:2
unmounting old /proc
unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: 22
Initrd finished
Kerned Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

As I said, I'm new to linux and a bit at a loss as to what to do here. Help would be greatly appreciated!

:lol:

I hope it's not bad! I just need to look at RAID installs, something I have not done as much as others here. It should make no difference. Did Mandriva have a RAID driver or did you have to supply one?

Guest Burrigan
I hope it's not bad! I just need to look at RAID installs, something I have not done as much as others here. It should make no difference. Did Mandriva have a RAID driver or did you have to supply one?

It told me that it had found a RAID bios and asked me if I wanted to enable it. A yes reply got me the response above, and a no reply yields either "grub error 15" or a screen full of 99 99 99 99 on boot, depending on options selected.

Also, I went to try and boot XP from a disk (to see if I could get some internet functionality back on the machine) and it is having issues with the drive now too, telling me I may need to run

a manufacturer supplied diagnostic on

it.

This all seems rather odd, as prior to this the system (a dell) was running XP with no problems... other than those one expects out of windows.

Well, you could verify the drive and the RAID. Is it on-board? A separate card? A great tool to use is the Ultimate boot cd. Google it and you will find it easy. It is a free download. It contains most major vendor diagnostic tools.

Guest Burrigan

Okay! Well, I was tinkering around and managed got into a prompt that allowed me to turn off RAID on my hard drives, and now linux is booting up much better than before.

I'm now having issues with the graphical interface, but as this is a seperate issue, I posted a new thread here. Thank you for your help! Identifying RAID as the issue definitely helped me get past that part of the boot issue.

B