gateway 200 (dell x200) media base CD-RW (can it work?)

Peep

Edit 12/30/03: 9.2 download edition automatically sees the drive after installation and it works perfectly! :thumbs:

i am only several weeks into my newbie-dom, but so far things have gone VERY smoothly--but any help anyone is able to give would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Gateway 200 laptop (the same computer as a dell latitude x200 and maybe others) and by some miracle i have mandrake 9.1 running and everything works except for the CD-RW in the media base. the drive worked fine during install (i had to load the 3 drivers for it during the install) but now that mandrake is installed i can't get anything to see the drive. it looks like the drivers (modules?) are loaded (ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2)... does anyone have any idea what else i need to do?

Thanks for any help and I apologize if I've gotten any terminology wrong.

Edited by Peep

I have a Gateway 200 laptop (the same computer as a dell latitude x200 and maybe others) and by some miracle i have mandrake 9.1 running and everything works except for the CD-RW in the media base.  the drive worked fine during install (i had to load the 3 drivers for it during the install) but now that mandrake is installed i can't get anything to see the drive.  it looks like the drivers (modules?) are loaded (ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2)... does anyone have any idea what else i need to do?

Hi Peep.

First of all, I don't see why you pretend it to be a miracle to install Mandrake 9.1 on your laptop. 5 words: Why it would not work?

Now for you cdrw. You loaded some modules (ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2) but those are not for cdrw at all man. ieee1394, ohci1394 and sbp2 are for your FireWire port (I guess you have one). Now, a cdrw to work properly (read 'burn stuff') under Linux, it has to be emulated as a scsi device. So for it to work, you must have a line with the term 'hdx=ide-scsi' (replace x by whatever letter) in the file /etc/lilo.conf. You should also see the symlink /dev/scdX (replace X by whatever number) pointing at /dev/scsi/hostW/busX/targetY/lunZ/cd (replace W, X, Y, Z by some numbers. If you don't have that, then report it.

If you have the two above points, then Linux setted the device fine. Now YOU have to set things up so that you can read datas on your cdrom. Can you mount a cdrom (type 'mount /mnt/cdrom' in a console)? Did you disable Supermount (run the 'supermount -i disable')? How are you trying to access the device? Did you install KDE as a desktop manager? If so then KDE didn't put nices icons to access your cdrom on the desktop?

Waiting..

MottS

First of all, I don't see why you pretend it to be a miracle to install Mandrake 9.1 on your laptop.  5 words: Why it would not work?

The miracle wasn't that mandrake worked... it was that *I* was able to avoid messing everything up. I thought the learning curve would be a lot steeper than it has been--I've only been running linux for several weeks and so far i've been able to resolve most issues with a google search. This problem was only alluded to on a few pages (something like "and the CD-RW doesn't work yet, but that's ok because i hardly use it anyway")

KDE put an icon on the desktop (like you said), and it thinks that it has a drive mounted at /mnt/cdrom but the link doesn't work. Harddrake never sees the drive and there's no link in the control center to set a mount point for cd drives (like there would be if it saw a drive). The reason i need the firewire running is that the drive is in the media base/docking station, which docks by (i guess) firewire. So i couldn't install until i got firewire working.

I don't see anything in my /etc/lilo.conf about the cd drive at all :(

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

default="linux"

keytable=/boot/us.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=off quiet"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=mount acpi=off"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="devfs=nomount acpi=off failsafe"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

other=/dev/fd0

label="floppy"

unsafe

What does that mean, since it's not there at all, but kde at least thinks it sees something? Thanks for the help!

Edit: forgot to add that when i try "mount /mnt/cdrom" i get nothing (just another prompt). when i try to go to navigate to it ("cd /mnt/cdrom"), i get "bash: cd: /mnt/cdrom: Input/output error". i get the same responses after "supermount -i disable". thanks.

The miracle wasn't that mandrake worked... it was that *I* was able to avoid messing everything up.

OH .. OK I see :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you use the installer to resize your NTFS partition ? (Just curious)

KDE put an icon on the desktop (like you said), and it thinks that it has a drive mounted at /mnt/cdrom but the link doesn't work.  Harddrake never sees the drive and there's no link in the control center to set a mount point for cd drives (like there would be if  it saw a drive).   The reason i need the firewire running is that the drive is in the media base/docking station, which docks by (i guess) firewire.  So i couldn't install until i got firewire working.

Ok. I'm going to answer you by asking you questions actually. Is the cdrw external or internal? If it is external, do you plug it via the firewire port? If it is internal, do you know if it is connected to an IDE channel (or SCSI channel or whatever)? I'm asking because I don't understand the 'media base/docking station' thing and the way the cdrw will be configured depend on that. If the cdrw is connected via the firewire port I don't thing Mandrake will detect it right away without complaining of anything. We will have to work a bit on that. But if it is IDE or SCSI it will be easy I promess.

I don't see anything in my /etc/lilo.conf about the cd drive at all :(

That may be the problem depending how the cdrw is connected to the motherboard. I'll tell you more when you answer my questions.

What does that mean, since it's not there at all, but kde at least thinks it sees something?

KDE put icons on the desktop by default so it is not a reference, specially if it does not work :wink:

Cya

MOttS

I don't know if it's ide or scsi or something else. It's "external" because it's separate from the notebook, but connects when you "dock" the computer into the "media base" (cradle, docking station, whatever you want to call it.) It looks like this: 200_pd.jpg so the cdrom is on that bottom part that detatches. I THINK that the interface between the laptop and the base is firewire. (not a normal firewire port, but it seems to be firewire nonetheless.)

The installer's NTFS resizer didn't work very well for me, it was only able to shrink the NTFS partition by about 300MB... not enough. I ended up downloading a program called "BootIt NG", which did the trick nicely. I think the problem was that windows had scattered info around the drive, and the mandrake installer couldn't move it around without destroying the data? XP was making me frustrated BEFORE I started trying to install linux... but it made me MORE frustrated on the way out the door. :lol:

I just rebooted, thinking maybe part of the problem could be that the system had suspended earlier, but after the reboot when I tried "mount /mnt/cdrom" it says "mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist" (not sure if that sheds light on anything or not).

Thanks. :)

Here's a page that doesn't mean much to me, but if you can translate it into easily telling me what to do, that'd be great :) (note: this is about a different external drive, but it is probably similar to my drive?)

i think i've done everything but the part at the end about inserting (because I'm not sure where to insert it?).

from http://www.cs.unm.edu/~maccabe/Dell_x200.html#firewire:

The trick to making things work is to attach the drive before inserting (modprobe) the appropriate modules. Once the disk has been connected, you should insert the following modules: 

ieee1394 (you can probably insert this before connecting the disk) 

ohci1394 

sbp2 

If you compiled them as modules, you will also need to insert: 

scsi_mod 

sd_mod 

Once everything is in place, the device will be /dev/scd0, i.e., "ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom"

HEY! .. really good link actually. You have all the necessary info to make it works!

The cdrw is connected to your mobo via a firewire port (never see it before actually). This is why you have to load the ieee1394 driver with 2 others (ohci1394 and sbp2). Once those modules are loaded, Linux knows how to talk with your cdrw. However, you have to emulate it as a scsi device to burn datas (don't know why but cdrecording sofware only recognise scsi devices). This is why they tell you to load scsi_mod and sd_mod. Those two modules are the scsi modules.

So this what I would do.

1) Reboot with the cdrw connected to the computer

2) Only booted, open a console and type as root

lsmod

This will list ALL the drivers (modules) loaded on your computer. Try to locate ieee1394, ohci1394, sbp2, scsi_mod and sd_mod.

3) Organize yourself to load them in the same order as the website specify. Ie, if ieee1394 isn't loaded, there is some chances that all the others aren't loaded. So load them as follow:

modprobe ieee1394 ohci1394 sbp2 scsi_mod sd_mod

If ieee1394 is already loaded when you type 'lsmod' then load only the remaining one in the order specified on the website. Redo a 'lsmod' to see if the modules are really loaded.

4) Try to locate the cdrw in /dev. According to the website, the device should be already emulated as a scsi device so that should be /dev/scd0 or /dev/scd1. Open a console and do

ls -l /dev/sc*

5) If you see /dev/scd0 then try to mount a cdrom by typing as root

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

If that works then you should be able to control it via the icon on your desktop. If that does not work then report here what you have done so far.

Good luck!

MOttS

Hi Peep.

Ok so far you rebooted with the cdrw conneted to the computer, did an lsmod and loaded the missing driver. That's ok but /dev/scsimon isn't what we are looking for. We are looking for /dev/scdX or /dev/sdXY or a directory called 'scsi' in /dev.

I have read the driver header at /usr/src/linux/drivers/ieee1394/sbp2.c and it contains some nice info about the driver. Here it is:

* Brief Description:

* This driver implements the Serial Bus Protocol 2 (SBP-2) over IEEE-1394

* under Linux. The SBP-2 driver is implemented as an IEEE-1394 high-level

* driver. It also registers as a SCSI lower-level driver in order to accept

* SCSI commands for transport using SBP-2.

* Driver Loading:

* Currently, the SBP-2 driver is supported only as a module. Because the  

* Linux SCSI stack is not Plug-N-Play aware, module load order is

* important. Assuming the SCSI core drivers are either built into the

* kernel or already loaded as modules, you should load the IEEE-1394 modules

* in the following order:

*  ieee1394 (e.g. insmod ieee1394)

* ohci1394 (e.g. insmod ohci1394)

* sbp2 (e.g. insmod sbp2)

* The SBP-2 driver will attempt to discover any attached SBP-2 devices when first

* loaded, or after any IEEE-1394 bus reset (e.g. a hot-plug). It will then print

* out a debug message indicating if it was able to discover a SBP-2 device.

* Currently, the SBP-2 driver will catch any attached SBP-2 devices during the

* initial scsi bus scan (when the driver is first loaded). To add or remove

* SBP-2 devices "after" this initial scan (i.e. if you plug-in or un-plug a  

* device after the SBP-2 driver is loaded), you must either use the scsi procfs

* add-single-device, remove-single-device, or a shell script such as

* rescan-scsi-bus.sh.

* The easiest way to add/detect new SBP-2 devices is to run the shell script

* rescan-scsi-bus.sh (or re-load the SBP-2 driver). This script may be

* found at:

* http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

* As an alternative, you may manually add/remove SBP-2 devices via the procfs with

* add-single-device <h> <b> <t> <l> or remove-single-device <h> <b> <t> <l>, where:

* <h> = host (starting at zero for first SCSI adapter)

* <b> = bus (normally zero)

* <t> = target (starting at zero for first SBP-2 device)

* <l> = lun (normally zero)

* e.g. To manually add/detect a new SBP-2 device

* echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

* e.g. To manually remove a SBP-2 device after it's been unplugged

* echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

* e.g. To check to see which SBP-2/SCSI devices are currently registered

*  cat /proc/scsi/scsi

* After scanning for new SCSI devices (above), you may access any attached

* SBP-2 storage devices as if they were SCSI devices (e.g. mount /dev/sda1,

* fdisk, mkfs, etc.).

* Module Load Options:

* sbp2_max_speed   - Force max speed allowed

*      (2 = 400mb, 1 = 200mb, 0 = 100mb. default = 2)

* sbp2_serialize_io  - Serialize all I/O coming down from the scsi drivers

*      (0 = deserialized, 1 = serialized, default = 0)

* sbp2_max_sectors,   - Change max sectors per I/O supported (default = 255)

* sbp2_max_outstanding_cmds - Change max outstanding concurrent commands (default = 8)

* sbp2_max_cmds_per_lun - Change max concurrent commands per sbp2 device (default = 1)

* sbp2_exclusive_login  - Set to zero if you'd like to allow multiple hosts the ability

*      to log in at the same time. Sbp2 device must support this,

*      and you must know what you're doing (default = 1)

* (e.g. insmod sbp2 sbp2_serialize_io = 1)

* Current Support:

* The SBP-2 driver is still in an early state, but supports a variety of devices.

* I have read/written many gigabytes of data from/to SBP-2 drives, and have seen

* performance of more than 25 MBytes/s on individual drives (limit of the media

* transfer rate).

* Following are a sampling of devices that have been tested successfully:

* - Western Digital IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - Maxtor IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - VST (SmartDisk) IEEE-1394 hard drives and Zip drives (several flavors)

* - LaCie IEEE-1394 hard drives (several flavors)

* - QPS IEEE-1394 CD-RW/DVD drives and hard drives

* - BusLink IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - Iomega IEEE-1394 Zip/Jazz/Peerless drives

* - ClubMac IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - FirePower IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - EzQuest IEEE-1394 hard drives and CD-RW drives

* - Castlewood/ADS IEEE-1394 ORB drives

* - Evergreen IEEE-1394 hard drives and CD-RW drives

* - Addonics IEEE-1394 CD-RW drives

* - Bellstor IEEE-1394 hard drives and CD-RW drives

* - APDrives IEEE-1394 hard drives

* - Fujitsu IEEE-1394 MO drives

* - Sony IEEE-1394 CD-RW drives

* - Epson IEEE-1394 scanners

* - ADS IEEE-1394 memory stick and compact flash readers

* - SBP-2 bridge-based devices (LSI, Oxford Semiconductor, Indigita bridges)

* - Various other standard IEEE-1394 hard drives and enclosures

* Performance Issues:

* - Make sure you are "not" running fat/fat32 on your attached SBP-2 drives. You'll

*   get much better performance formatting the drive ext2 (but you will lose the

*   ability to easily move the drive between Windows/Linux).

* Current Issues:

* - Error Handling: SCSI aborts and bus reset requests are handled somewhat

*   but the code needs additional debugging.

* - Module: The SBP-2 driver is currently only supported as a module. It would not take

*   much work to allow it to be compiled into the kernel, but you'd have to

*   add some init code to the kernel to support this... and modules are much

*   more flexible anyway.   ;-)

* - Hot-plugging: Interaction with the SCSI stack and support for hot-plugging could

*   stand some improvement.

The interesting part is that the driver seem to connect the device at /dev/sdXY and not /dev/scdX (replace X and Y by any letter or number) as the link you found suggested. We will check for both device starting for now to make sure we get it ;-) . Another interesting point is that the driver seems to have problems with hot-plug. So that may be why you don't see it upon reboot. There is a fix for that.

So if all the modules are loaded according to lsmod, do

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

To see what the kernel emulate as a scsi device. If you get something then redo

ls -l /dev/sc*

ls -l /dev/sd*

to see what is going on. If all the drivers are loaded but the kernel does not see anything (with cat /proc/scsi/scsi and/or ls -l /dev/sc* and ls -l /dev/sd*) then run the proposed script to detect devices (that overcome the hot-plug problem). It can be found here according to the driver header:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

To run it you have to open a console, become root (su + password), make it executable and run it. This is done as follow:

gd@localhost gd $ su

Password:

root@localhost gd # ls -l

total 40

-rw-r--r--    1 gd       users        2675 Apr  2 07:59 rescan-scsi-bus.sh

root@localhost gd # chmod +x rescan-scsi-bus.sh

root@localhost gd # ls -l

total 40

-rwxr-xr-x    1 gd       users        2675 Apr  2 07:59 rescan-scsi-bus.sh

root@localhost gd # ./rescan-scsi-bus.sh

Host adapter 0 (ide-scsi) found.

Scanning for device 0 0 0 0 ...

OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: LG       Model: DVD-ROM DRD8160B Rev: 1.01

Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Scanning for device 0 0 1 0 ...

OLD: Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00

Vendor: ATAPI    Model: CD-R/RW 32X10    Rev: T.JA

0 new device(s) found.

0 device(s) removed.

root@localhost gd #

For my computer, everything was detected when I booted so I get '0 new device(s) found' but hopefully, you will get something deferent. If you got something here, then retry the above commands (cat /proc/scsi/scsi, ls -l /dev/sc* and ls -l /dev/sd*), mount the device and burn baby burn!

Good luck

MOttS

ok. i REALLY appreciate your help on this. I DO have a /dev/scsi/ directory, but there's nothing in it. nothing else new popped up. nothing was detected with ./rescan-scsi-bus.sh or when i did it manually as your text suggested (echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 0 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi)

what I noticed was that the modules are loading out of order in lsmod:

[root@localhost Documents]# lsmod

Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted

ide-floppy             15580   0  (autoclean)

sd_mod                 13100   0  (autoclean) (unused)

sr_mod                 16920   0  (autoclean) (unused)

ide-cd                 33856   0  (autoclean)

cdrom                  31648   0  (autoclean) [sr_mod ide-cd]

binfmt_misc             7020   1

parport_pc             25096   1  (autoclean)

lp                      8096   0  (autoclean)

parport                34176   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

agpgart                40896   7  (autoclean)

i810_audio             26248   0

soundcore               6276   0  [i810_audio]

ac97_codec             12488   0  [i810_audio]

nfsd                   74256   8  (autoclean)

orinoco_cs              5652   1

orinoco                36972   0  [orinoco_cs]

hermes                  7524   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]

ds                      8456   2  [orinoco_cs]

yenta_socket           13056   2

pcmcia_core            57184   0  [orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]

af_packet              14952   3  (autoclean)

floppy                 55132   0

3c59x                  29584   1  (autoclean)

scsimon                 9280   0  (unused)

sbp2                   19424   0

ohci1394               19048   0  (unused)

ieee1394               45900   0  [sbp2 ohci1394]

nls_iso8859-1           3516   1  (autoclean)

ntfs                   76812   1  (autoclean)

usb-storage            72952   0  (unused)

scsi_mod              103284   4  [sd_mod sr_mod scsimon sbp2 usb-storage]

usb-uhci               24652   0  (unused)

usbcore                72992   1  [usb-storage usb-uhci]

rtc                     8060   0  (autoclean)

ext3                   59916   2

jbd                    38972   2  [ext3]

I tried to remove them and then put them back (i used "modprobe -r" for them in reverse order and had to get rid of a few dependencies too) and then put them back in order. but they showed up out of order immediately-- scsi_mod sort of jumps ahead of everything else. so i'm having trouble figuring out how to get them in order? or does the order really matter as long as they're all loaded??

Hi Peep.

I'm a little bit lost about your problem now. I don't have any firewire device at home so I cannot test what I'm suggesting. Sorry.

..i used "modprobe -r"..

Usually one have to use the 'rmmod' command to remove modules from a running kernel.. But I guess 'modprobe –r' works.. never tried it.

..or does the order really matter as long as they're all loaded??

Exactly! The order does not really matter as long as they are loaded man. I would try it again making sure hotplug starts at boot time (using the MCC). So reboot with the device attached to the computer and do an 'lsmod' to see what is loaded. If there is a missing driver (or drivers) then 'modprobe' it (them). You _should_ see something showing up in /dev/scsi/ once all drivers are loaded. If nothing shows up then the problem could be that the kernel does not even see the device.. (guess here)

Search Google about that. Usually, when you connect a device (let's say a USB printer), it get listed somewhere in /proc. In the USB printer case that would be 'cat /pros/bus/usb/devices'. However, there will be noting in the directory /dev/usb/ and I will not be able to use the device until I 'modprobe' the proper drivers ('usb-ohci' and 'printer' in my case). So what I'm thinking of right now is that your kernel could have problems detecting the cdrw. So in that case, even if you 'modprobe' the proper drivers, the device will not works because the kernel does not see the device at all. So what I suggest you to search for is the /proc listing for a firewire device. That could be something like 'cat /proc/bus/firewire/devices' or something else (again, I have no firewire device so I'm guessing here). If you find on Google that all firewire devices are listed in /proc/whatever when the kernel detect it and you don't see your cdrw there upon reboot then this is the problem .. ie the kernel does not even see the device so 'modprobing' the drivers is worthless. Do you understand?

Good luck

MOttS

Hi Peep.

Hi did a bit of research for you. Here is what I found.

According to THIS website, upon loading the sbp2 driver, the device should be listed in /proc/scsi/scsi.

When you reboot, take a look at /var/log/messages. You should see some info about your firewire device (I mean, what the kernel did when it see it .. or does it see it at all).

You could also try to list all PCI devices recognized (or not) by the kernel by typing 'lspci' as root.

If you find something else let me know! .. Let me know what you have done so far also!

Good luck!

MOttS

ok. I am noticing that sd_mod is never loaded after I reboot. Do I need to do anything in particular to get it to keep loading?

I would try it again making sure hotplug starts at boot time (using the MCC)
I assume that's the Mandrake Control Center... but where would I see whether hotplug is starting? I don't see anything in the detected hardware about firewire, but I just may not be recognizing it. there are 3 USB controllers, 3 USB UHCI Root hubs, and an SMBus controller.

Here's what looked relevant from my /var/log/messages:

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[11]  MMIO=[e0200000-e02007ff]  Max Packet=[2048]

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: SelfID completion called outside of bus reset!

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Error logging into SBP-2 device - login failed

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: sbp2_login_device failed

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: scsi0 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver (host: ohci1394)

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: $Rev: 707 $ James Goodwin <jamesg@filanet.com>

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: SBP-2 module load options:

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max speed supported: S400

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max sectors per I/O supported: 255

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max outstanding commands supported: 8

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max outstanding commands per lun supported: 1

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Serialized I/O (debug): no

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Exclusive login: yes

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:05.0

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.1

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost rc: Starting partmon:  succeeded

I'm going to keep working on this a bit tonight but may be away all weekend... I don't want you thinking I'm just running away. THANK YOU for all the help! :D I've been trying to RTFM but most of these commands just don't mean much until you've actually needed then and get to see what they do. between this and the other little things that've helped me from your other posts (just got animated lilo screens from your tips and tricks post, we'll see if i can get them working)... you've helped out tremendously!

ok.  I am noticing that sd_mod is never loaded after I reboot.  Do I need to do anything in particular to get it to keep loading?

If you want to load a driver at boot, put the driver's name at the end of /etc/modules. This files list the additionnal drivers to be loaded at boot..

I would try it again making sure hotplug starts at boot time (using the MCC)
I assume that's the Mandrake Control Center... but where would I see whether hotplug is starting?

Yes I was talking about the MCC but if you don't see hotplug in MCC->System->Services then forget about it. I don't remember much how hotplug is implemented in Mdk. In Gentoo you only have to run /etc/init.d/hotplug at boot but if you don't see hotplug in the MCC then this file does not exist in Mdk ..

Here's what looked relevant from my /var/log/messages:

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ohci1394_0: OHCI-1394 1.1 (PCI): IRQ=[11]  MMIO=[e0200000-e02007ff]  Max Packet=[2048]

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: SelfID completion called outside of bus reset!

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: Error logging into SBP-2 device - login failed

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: ieee1394: sbp2: sbp2_login_device failed

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: scsi0 : IEEE-1394 SBP-2 protocol driver (host: ohci1394)

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: $Rev: 707 $ James Goodwin <jamesg@filanet.com>

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: SBP-2 module load options:

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max speed supported: S400

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max sectors per I/O supported: 255

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max outstanding commands supported: 8

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Max outstanding commands per lun supported: 1

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Serialized I/O (debug): no

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: - Exclusive login: yes

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:05.0

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost kernel: PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1d.1

Apr  3 06:39:41 localhost rc: Starting partmon:  succeeded

This part is really interesting man. The kernel basically tells you it has problems loading the sbp2 driver .. and this driver is crucial for your cdrw to work! However, I have no idea why it is not loading properly and what you can do for it to load correctly. But you finally put the finger on the problem (Congratulation :!: :!: ) . If spb2 is not loaded correctly, the scsi emulation is not done and nothing shows up in /dev/scsi/. We still have to find the fix now .. :roll:

between this and the other little things that've helped me from your other posts (just got animated lilo screens from your tips and tricks post)... you've helped out tremendously!

:P

EDIT: According to

http://www.geocities.com/lawrencioy/ (Check "Dealing with the CD-ROM")

http://users.bwsys.net/~rednu/index2.html

the trick seems to be to unload the modules (with rmmod) and load them back. The first link talk about another driver (raw1394). I don't know if that may help you but you decide. The second one tries to use an ipod under Linux (it is a firewire device). Check them and lemme know.. Don't forget to check /var/logs/messages or /var/log/syslog to see if the kernel message changes !

MOttS

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!!

I had just discovered that same link (http://www.geocities.com/lawrencioy/) and was coming back to say that it had finally discovered the drive on the system... now i just need to figure out how to mount it because i must be doing something wrong. either the raw1394 did the trick or using insmod instead of modprobe. (I don't yet understand the difference, but progress is progress whether I understand it yet or not :)) I now have /dev/scd0.

[root@localhost bill]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Attached devices:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

Vendor: TOSHIBA  Model: CD-R/RW SR-C8102 Rev: 1S11

I tried to mount it but this is what I get:

[root@localhost bill]# mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom

mount: block device /dev/scd0 is write-protected, mounting read-only

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0,

or too many mounted file systems