gateway 200 (dell x200) media base CD-RW (can it work?)

Peep

YIHA !!!!!!!

Ok... did you put a cd in the drive before trying to mount it (stupid question .. I'm drunk :lol: ).

Seriously, according to what you have said previously,

when I tried "mount /mnt/cdrom" it says "mount: special device /dev/scd0 does not exist" (not sure if that sheds light on anything or not). 

the device is listed in /etc/fstab and a mount point was given to it at boot time (/mnt/cdrom). So put a cd (let's say .. you windows cd :twisted: ) and try the usual command to mount a cd:

mount /mnt/cdrom

You should hear the cdrom spin and be able to access your the datas on it in /mnt/cdrom/ (HOPEFULLY!). Otherwise, post your /etc/fstab here.

Good luck

MOttS

8) 8) 8) THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU 8) 8) 8)

I'm way too excited about this (it's just a cd-rw for crying out loud) but now IT WORKS! I had a music cd in there and it didn't mount, put a data cd and it fired right up.

Thanks for all your help!

:D C()()L !!

.. Yeah music cds don't have a TOC so there is no way to mount it... the only way to play music is to point XMMS at the device file (/dev/scd0 in your case).

But man .. CONGRATULATION :!: :!: :!: You could make a script to unload the modules and reload them after upon reboot (if that is the real problem). Or your could put raw1394 in /etc/modules so that it is loaded at boot time.

Anyway .. Good luck!

MOttS

i put raw1394 in /etc/modules and it seems to be finding it on bootup, which is great.

for some reason once the drive is mounted, it no longer ejects... :roll: but at least i can get to the cd drive if i need to. ejecting is a problem for another day :)

Well, I think you have to unmount it if you want to eject it no? I don't run supermount so this is what I have to do to eject a cdrom (ie, umount and eject... eject only does not works). Do you run Supermount (you will see the word 'supermount' spreaded all over /etc/fstab if you do)? If you do run supermount and you can't eject the cdrom then you have a problem .. LOL You could try to disable supermount by typing

supermount -i disable

as root and type

mount -a

to remount the removable media without the supermount extension. You shouldn't have problems now ... (guessing here). Back up /etc/fstab before trying the supermount command as follow:

cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.backup

Notice that you have to mount and umount every removable media manually if you disable supermount.

MOttS

so on my desktop, i can just open the drive... is that supermount? what's the advantage/disadvantage of supermount? (i'm trying to find info on google but not finding much that seems useful to someone who doesn't already know what supermount is)

so on my desktop, i can just open the device... is that supermount?  what's the advantage/disadvantage of supermount?  (i'm trying to find info on google but not finding much that seems useful to someone who doesn't already know what supermount is)

OH.. ok sorry. Supermount is like the 'Windows' way to mount/umount removable media. In other words, it mounts cds automatically when you take a look at /mnt/cdrom (if this directory is specified to be supermount enabled in /etc/fstab) and umount it when you eject the cds with the button on the device. However, this _seems to be usefull_ option isn't that great. Depending on the computer on which it runs, it can works great or really really bad (Ie, lock up the /mnt directory for like a minute before being able to access it with Konqueror). So most people just diable it (I did) with the command I described before (supermount -i disble). In that case (diable supermount), you have to mount/unmount removable medias manually if you want to access/eject the device. Ie, in my case (I don't use supermount), I have to type

mount /mnt/Burner

if I want to access a cdrom that in linked to /mnt/Burner according to /etc/fstab. In the other hand, if I want to eject a cdrom that was mounted in /mnt/Burner I have to type the following to first umount it and then to eject the cdrom.

umount /mnt/Burner

eject /mnt/Burner

However, if you disable supermount and run KDE, things will run smootly (they do for me actually). You can create an icon linked to your cdrom. Also, you will have the 'mount' and 'eject' option when you right clic it. So this is a lot like Windows but not like it (if you know what I mean).

So find first if your run Supermount, decide if you want to run it or not and make links on your desktop accordingly (if they are not there already).

Here is a good link about removable media in Linux (They talk about supermount):

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/amount.html

using insmod instead of modprobe. (I don't yet understand the difference

Basically, insmod load a modules without the dependency. modprobe loads a module with the dependency. Nice link:

http://linux.umbc.edu/lug-mailing-list/199...0/msg00407.html

cya!

MOttS

• 10 months later...
* The easiest way to add/detect new SBP-2 devices is to run the shell script

* rescan-scsi-bus.sh (or re-load the SBP-2 driver). This script may be

* found at:

* http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh

a year later... thanks again MottS. Just installed Debian and that script found my cdrom when the way I had been doing it in mandrake wouldn't work! :P