Broadband Cellular cards

mindwave

Has anyone used MDV with a Cellular broadband card similar to this one being offered by Verizon?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...tedPhoneId=1821

A work project is going to force me into spending the $ to buy one, and the more uses I can get out of it the happier I'll be.

verizon of course only supports Windows, and although I wouldnt imagine PnP useage (although it would be great) I'd love to hear from anyone using this specific card or any other like it?

thanks

J

Yup, b0rked link.

It just depends which OEM card Verizon is providing. Have you asked them if it is Linux compatible? My service provider has a whole page on how to set up your mobile data card with Linux, most of them are compatible as normal PCMCIA modems.

Also remember that you can connect using a mobile phone with Bluetooth, so the cards aren't always necessary.

Thanks for the info on the link, maybe this one:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/c...tedPhoneId=1821

essentially its the Verizon Wireless PC 5740 card.

as for using my cell phone THAT one i know about, been using my treo for 2 years that way.

i just have aproject coming up that is VERY graphics intensive and using my cell phone as my modem, well i wont LIVE that long.

as for asking Verizon about linux, WOW.

ME: Is your 5740 supported by most major Linux Distrobutions?

VZW REP: HUH?

ME: My laptop dual boots with WIndows XP and Mandriva 2k7, can I use it on both sides?

VZW REP: Windows XP will be all you need.

ME: Umm well beynod the obvious lack of concentration in that statement I really need to find out if I can use my Linux Partition and distorbution in conjunction with your card.

VZW REP: Umm well you could call Tech support

ME: I could CALL any one of 100 providers and buy a card from them, instead I chose to stop here, taking time from my day, to ask if you, the expert, can answer my question about Linux.

VZW REP: yeah Tech support would have to be called.

ME: OK I'll wait....

VZW REP: well you can use that phone over there....

ME:So youre NOT going to tell me....

So being bold I called:

"Thanks you for calling VZW where you get a free Cherry squishy with every question answered correctly"

so i hung up quickly and tried their on line chat:

ME : is your 5740 card supported by the Major Linux distrobutions?

Amanda: Unfortunately, I do not have any knowledge as to this information. Are you an existing Verizon Wireless customer?

ME : yes

Amanda: What type of plan are you currently on?

ME: unlimited data and regional voice with a treo600, but i may need a 5740 card for a work relate project, I need to know if I can use it in a laptop thats using Linux

Amanda: Is this a program on your laptop?

(this is where it got pathetic)

ME: no its the operating system on my laptop

Amanda: Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess and NationalAccess services allow you to access the Internet, email and business applications with your laptop. A PC card is required for this service. Would you like to find out more?

ME: right i know that

ME: what i need to know is, is your card supported by Linux

ME: I have been told by my local store that i need to buy the 5740 with a $60 plan, thats fine

ME: now what i need to know is. will your card work with my pc

Amanda: Are you looking to add this device to your existing plan?

ME: only if it will work in my pc with a LINUX OS

after 20 minutes amanda got a POOR rating and she had to ask 3 different people to confirm that they dont officially support linux.

hence my question to the community

you guys rock, i spent WAY too much time online and in the store for them to point me to a $200 card that they KNOOW is supported by linux, and you guys all come through with a great solution for the free card!

BTW Soulse: your PnP experioence was that with mandriva?

I use both Xandros and MDV on my laptop.

Thanks

j

BTW Soulse: your PnP experioence was that with mandriva?

Well I've never used that card before and I haven't used Mandriva for ages, but I'm guessing that it would work as per that link I found.

For the cards I have worked with in helping friends (specifically the famous red Vodafone card), they show up in Mandriva as generic PCMCIA modems, which you can then set to dial *99# (or whatever string your network requires) from a client such as wvdial.