Trouble with Mandriva 2007

Guest swordfish

Guest swordfish

Hi, I am trying to install Mandriva alongside windows XP-64. I downloaded and burned the Mandriva 2007 i586 DVD iso. I boot up with the DVD in the drive, and follow the directions. After I accept the EULA, it begins to load some modules. After a couple are loaded, I get this message,

"Found "nVidia corp.|CK804 Serial ATA Controller","nVidia corp.|CK804 Serial ATA Controller" do you has another one?"

If i choose "No" I get new message:

"An error oocured - no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystem. Please check your system for case of this problem"

I tried to install with different drivers(sata_nv,sata_mv, megaraid etc.) and options as "pci=noacpi", "acpi=off", but there was no result. Any suggestions?

My system:

AMD 3600+ X2 (AM2)

ASUS M2N4-SLI (nForce4-SLI)

SEAGATE 80g SATA II (SATA UP to 3Gbps)

nVidia 7300GT 256MB DDR3

It is possible that the motherboard is not compatible with Linux. I have been having a problem trying to install MDV 2007 on a Gigabyte mobo and I seen this problem you are having and I decided to check hardware compatibility. My motherboard as well as yours, aren't compatible.

Pepse.

Guest swordfish
Do you have RAID on? Is plug and ply turned off in the bios?

I have : RAID off , PnP off

It is possible that the motherboard is not compatible with Linux. I have been having a problem trying to install MDV 2007 on a Gigabyte mobo and I seen this problem you are having and I decided to check hardware compatibility. My motherboard as well as yours, aren't compatible.

Pepse.

Ok. Is It possible that in future Dev's will publish patch for support? Or, how can I solve this problem in other way?

I just did a quick google on Linux compatibility with your mb, it 'appears' that the problem is only with the Linux Kernel 2.6.17?

These links are 'not' Mandriva specific.

This guy has it working with Linux kernel 2.6.16:

http://www.phoronix.com/lch/?k=entry&l...ASUS%20M2N4-SLI

This guy has it working with Linux kernel 2.6.18-2:

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=30492

So you may want to try a Linux distro with at least a Linux kernel > 2.6.18, unless someone here has a solution for you?

Oh, and welcome to the MUB. :)

Edited by Greg2

Sorry, guys, but I have installed 64 bit Mandriva on this exact board. I do not think it is a compatibility problem. Was the drive partitioned by windows or did you leave a remainder empty?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest randrake
Sorry, guys, but I have installed 64 bit Mandriva on this exact board. I do not think it is a compatibility problem. Was the drive partitioned by windows or did you leave a remainder empty?

Using a SATA drive or IDE? Tried installing Mandriva and it doesn't seem to want to see the SATA drive but sees my IDE drive. I have one of each in my machine. I had the drive in the old ASUS board with the nForce 4 chipset as well and I had to make Mandriva see the SATA drive after install by installing another driver. Then modify Grub to go to the SATA drive (which is used for my Windows XP and set up in the bios as being the first drive to boot to). The original poster said he only had a SATA drive so that might be the difference.

I installed Mandriva 2007 x64 from a dvd on 2 machines I built for a client, 2 sata drives each and dvd writers on the ide channel. The ide issue existed in 2005; I thought it was fixed on 2006. But 2007 had no issues that I encountered.

Guest randrake

I installed 2007 fine on another Asus board. I just upgraded to the board of the OP mentioned and suddenly had these SATA issues. Not when I just tried to boot after changing the board, but started having other issues in both Mandriva and Windows so decided to start over from scratch. (went from single core to dual core processor as well as board change) I got it installed but only by putting my IDE drive as the first hard drive to boot from and changing the SATA channels with no drives from AUTO to NONE in the BIOS.

But I did also try to install SuSE before those changes and worked fine.

Guest randrake

One more tidbit. The latest bios has no way of disabling ACPI so always had to use the install with no ACPI to make it work. I have tried searching the net for why this option is grayed out and enabled but haven't found it yet.

I just tried Ubuntu and it's having the same results as Mandriva.

SuSE does install the kernel 2.6.16 with the DVD I have and noticed someone earlier saying it was a kernel issue with 2.6.17 and this board. When I booted Mandriva after changing the board and cpu, I did already have 2.6.20.3 from kernel.org installed. So maybe the person who said it was a 2.6.17 issue with this board may be onto something.

And what bootloader is the OP using? Since it was posted that no problem with install, I just let the default (LILO) go just now instead of the normal change to Grub that I do. Less hassles that way. Not 100% perfect but less hassles with LILO than Grub.

Edited by randrake