Mandriva 2007 Installation. Need Help

Guest SandyMacd

Guest SandyMacd

I have just got a hold of a copy of Mandriva 2007 Free and it was off a cover cd from a magazine. This leaves me with a folder called Linux on the hard-drive. Inside of this is:

[bOOT] - folder containing a very small .img file

i856 - containing i856 install folders like dosutils, lots of install images etc

x86_64 - or something like that which probably contains the 64 bit install folders which i dont need

I know I have to burn something to a dvd but am not sure what or how. This folder seems to be a rearranged exact copy of the dvd. there doesnt seem to be any help either.

I have ashampoo burning studio which is capable of burning .iso and .img files. I would like to know what to put in the img to burn to dvd line in Ashampoo as i dont understand how these linux image files could work anyway as every single image file in all the folders is too small.

Please could somebody help me here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by SandyMacd

If it is a dvd, it will say do in the name. I suspect a single file is a dvd, but just in case, the cd iso's are 3 separate files. They are image files, and need to be burned as an image. If you downloaded the file, you also need to get the md5 sum file so that you can verify that the download is good.

But, could you post the file name?

The other way to tell is by the size of the ISO you have downloaded. So how big is it? If it's about 2GB, then I'd say it was a DVD iso. If it's about 700mb then it's a CD iso.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried booting from the cover disc you are using? Didn't the magazine you got it with include instructions as to how to install the distribution they were providing?

I am assuming that when you say you are left with a folder called 'Linux' on your hard drive that this is inside of your Windows installation? What did you do before that directory appeared?

It is possible that the entire contents of that folder needs to be burnt to DVD, but there should be some, possibly hidden, files in the Linux directory allowing for it to be booted.