Frozen Bubble not running [solved]

dude67

Hi all,

I've just got myself a set of new HW. It's a 6400 Core Duo Processor PC, with an NVIDIA Graphics chip 7600 GT in a graphics card (256 MB) made by MSI. The motherboard is also MSI. It has 2 x 1024 MB memory.

This new PC is running Madriva 2007.0 as is my older PC (still working fine). In the old PC (with an ATI X700 Pro graphics card) I can get Frozen Bubble running with no problems, but not with this new PC. I've used the same installation DVD with the both of them. This is what I get in shell command (ctrl-E) from trying to run Frozen Bubble:

Can't locate SDL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/x86_64-linux  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./frozen-bubble line 56.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./frozen-bubble line 56.

It would seem that I'm missing some vital libraries, but I'm not really sure what to do... Anyone?

I've downloaded files from NVIDIA's site, so it should be OK. From running glxgears I get three nice gears w/ around 10500 to 18000 fps.

From this following, I believe I can see that 3D rendering is running (or am I wrong?).

$ glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

I've managed to play Mania Drive and Tuxracer , but e.g. Quake II and Frozen-Bubble would not play... What can I do; I would need Frozen-Bubble up & running ASAP as it's usually my wife that wants to play it! :o

Thanks already in advance.

In MCC under the software installation try searching for an rpm named similar to perl-sdl, and ensure that it is installed. This is the package that SDL.pm should be included with.

If it is already installed, then we need to find out of SDL.pm exists, which we can do with locate:

$ locate SDL.pm

Note that you may need to run updatedb as root first to build the database that locate users.

OK, first I found out that perl-SDL-1.20.0-15mdv2007.0 is already installed. So it's not that.

Then this is what I did as root:

[root@localhost xxxxx]# locate SDL.pm
bash: locate: command not found
[root@localhost xxxxx]# updatedb
bash: updatedb: command not found
[root@localhost xxxxx]# updatedb
bash: updatedb: command not found
[root@localhost xxxxx]#

I have to admit, I was a bit lost for a minute, but then I dug a little deeper (= googled) and installed slocate in MCC.

This is what I got after slocate:

[root@localhost xxxxx]# locate SDL.pm
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/SDL.pm
[root@localhost xxxxx]#

OK. What does that tell us? That frozen bubble cannot find the SDL.pm, because it's not looking for it in the right places? If so, how can I tell it where it is?

The quick and dirty way would be to just symlink one of the directories it's looking in to the directory it's actually in:

# ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/ /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/

But be sure that /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 (or whatever dir listed in @INC that you choose) does not already exist (I doubt it will).

The more "proper" way would be to add /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/ to @INC, but I think that's a program-defined variable so you'd have to modify the program.

Well the /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/ does not exist, but at least some of the directories do exist... I did the symlink as you suggested, but no help. It still doesn't work.

-- EDIT --

OK, it did change the line it froze on:

Can't locate SDL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./frozen-bubble line 51.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./frozen-bubble line 51.

Earlier it looked like this:

Can't locate SDL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux 
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/x86_64-linux  /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./frozen-bubble line 56.

OK, will do, when I get home this evening.

What is the problem, if these folders do exist? The one that I mentioned (and the one I tried to symlink) does not exist, but many of the ones Frozen-bubble reported do exist.

it seems the symlink didn't take. could go onto the command line, get into the site_perl directory and give us the output of:
ls -l

If you meant the folder wher I found SDL.pm then it's this: /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/

[root@localhost i386-linux]#   
total 137
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root	31 Feb 28 22:00 5.8.8 -> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  1024 Feb 25 20:43 auto/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   161 May 11  2004 fb_c_stuff.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 85659 Oct 27 13:14 FBLE.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 16326 Nov 23 23:45 fb_net.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12579 Nov 30 20:57 fb_stuff.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1600 May 11  2004 fbsyms.pm
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root  1024 Feb 23 19:30 SDL/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root	90 Apr  4  2002 SDL_perl.pm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 14004 Jan  3  2003 SDL.pm

The first line 5.8.8 -> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/ was blinking red, so there must be something wrong with it - right?

sorry for the delay.

yes, there's something wrong with it. my stupidity, is mainly what it was :oops:

you want this command:

ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/ /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8

I have this horrible tendency to switch things when I try to link them. You want the existing directory first, and then the location of the link to it. You can delete the 5.8.8 that's showed up in vendor_perl.

Back again.

I tried what you suggested and switched the lines in the symbolic link. No help

[root@localhost xxxxx]# ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/ /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8' to `/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/': No such file or directory
[root@localhost xxxxxx]#

I also tried with the slash after 5.8.8/

[root@localhost xxxxx]# ln -s /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/ /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/
ln: target `/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/' is not a directory: No such file or directory
[root@localhost xxxxx]#

I double-checked and the SDL.pm is still in the folder /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/i386-linux/

I still get this when I try command: ./frozen-bubble

Can't locate SDL.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.7/x86_64-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.6 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at ./frozen-bubble line 56.

When I try to run Frozen Bubble from the Games (application menu) it is just silent and nothing happens.

I also removed the earlier link - no help.

What am I missing here - anyone?

I updated from MCC using either the DVD or one of the easy-urpmi links I have. All the relevant updates - yes (at least what the MCC suggests).

I un-installed it all and now I'm downloading the files from Frozen-bubble.org. I'll post back when I've tried them.

Nothing... I DL'ed from the frozen-bubble.org site and it did come with some other packages (libs) I also installed. I tried - nothing. Then I upgraded/updated from MCC to the latest - nothing. Still the same problem...

I guess it was not meant that I'd play frozen bubble on my Mandriva with this particular HW set. It's not a big thing, but it kinda keeps bugging me - you know what I mean. :wall:

I know what you mean, especially since it should work. It's very odd that a Mandriva-built (official) package would not be configured properly for the system it's meant to be run on. This may be a bug, and you may have better luck getting it resolved by putting it on qa.mandriva.com (assuming, of course, such a bug report does not already exist - you should search).

My suggestions really constituted a hack, but it's a hack commonly used (make the program think the files are where it's looking) - but there was no guarantee that it would work for you :unsure:

sorry I can't be of more help...but I'll keep thinking on this and see if I come up with any other ideas.