Software or hardware problems?[solved][sort of...]

theYinYeti

Thank you for the advice.

Since it is so much better with the 32-bit Mdv, the seller and I agreed that I'd keep the PC one more week, to see if it is indeed working OK.

Early this morning, I had yet two other crashes from rpmdrake, one of which was while doing a system update (--auto-select...) which included updates for rpm, avahi, dbus, gtk... so quite a lot of "touchy" packages... then urpmi was broken, so I finished installing the urpmi cache using rpm -Uvh /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/*.rpm and urpmi was fine again. The other crash was on install of flash-plugin 9beta.

All else is stable.

I'll see how it goes this week...

Yves.

Thank you iphitus for your patience with me. I'm hard to convince because it is such a nice config!

I had a PII 350, and now all is so fast! And for 190 EURO, I have the PC (HD, mouse, kbd, CPU, mb, radeon...), the DVD writer, the 17" screen, and the SD/MMC/... card reader!

But well, I think you convinced me. All the more since I had yet another BIOS freeze today (so no OS running yet).

I'm bound to soon ask advice on these boards for a new MB, CPU and graphics card ;-)

Yves.

• 2 weeks later...

Said and done :)

I asked for advice, got it, and I finally bought some new hardware. I hope it will be more stable this time.

I'm glad you convinced me, because after I decided to hand the PC back (but before I actually did it), my wife had plenty of crashes, so much in fact that the PC was next to unusable!

That's past now. I'm back with the PII350, and I'll receive the Core2Duo this week. Thank you.

Yves.