need some other way to install mdk 9.1

zenrox

i dont have a cd-rw drive any more and id like to try a different way of installing

i have already tried installing mdk 9.1 via FTP dint work casues on my hard drives

hda total size 4 gigs

hda1= / 3.5gigs

hdaX= swap 475megs

hdb 6 gigs

hdb1 /home = 6gigs

hdc cd-rom

hdd 4gigs

hdd1 /usr 4gigs

aswell the ftp is hard to get in to

so idd like more info

of different way :shock:

Hi zenrox

You could try a HD install. You have to download the 3 images (.iso) first. Then you mount the first image and make a boot disk out of hd.img that is on that image. Then you boot that disquette and answer the questions asked by the installer. That is really easy. I did it to install MDK 9.1 rc2. Here is a tutorial if you are interested (this tutorial is intended to windows user basically):

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...d+drive+install

If you already uses LInux, forget about that tutorial. Here is what you have to do:

1) Mount first image

mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/first/image.iso /mnt/somewhere

2) Format a floppy

mke2fs /dev/fd0

3) Create a boot floppy with hd.img that is on the image mounted in 1 (assume image is mounted in /mnt/cd1)

dd if=/mnt/CD1/images/hd.img of=/dev/fd0

4) Boot with the diskette created in 3 and when prompted, browse to the images. The installation will start.

That's it!

HTH

MOttS

Hey man, if you install from the HD, you will have problems when will come the time to install softwares from the cd (after the installation). The software installer will prompt you for cd1, 2 or 3 depending of which software you are trying to install and since you don't have a cdrom, I think it is going to crash. To overcome that problem, mount the three isos and tell urpmi to look at those mounted images for *.rpm. Here is what I would do.

1) After first reboot, make three entries in /mnt for the isos.

mkdir CD1

mkdir CD2

mkdir CD3

2) Make entries in your /etc/fstab file so that those images will be mounted in the above path everytime you boot (here are my entries):

/mnt/Datas/Download/Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso /mnt/CD1 auto loop,ro,exec,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/Datas/Download/Mandrake91-cd2-ext.i586.iso /mnt/CD2 auto loop,ro,exec,umask=0 0 0

/mnt/Datas/Download/Mandrake91-cd3-i18n.i586.iso /mnt/CD3 auto loop,ro,exec,umask=0 0 0

3) Mount the iso by typing

mount -a

4) Delete the default entries (those refers to cdrom !) in the urpmi database like that:

urpmi.removemedia -a

5) Rebuild the urpmi database by typing:

urpmi.addmedia cd1 file:///mnt/CD1/Mandrake/RPMS/ with synthesis.hdlist1rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd2 file:///mnt/CD2/Mandrake/RPMS2/ with synthesis.hdlist2rpms.cz

urpmi.addmedia cd3 file:///mnt/CD3/Mandrake/RPMS3/ with synthesis.hdlist3rpms.cz

6) Install any software you like ...

Enjoy!

HTH

MOttS