BFG Nvidia Geforce 7600 and 3d Desktop

Guest milkman82

Guest milkman82

Hello All,

I am very new to Linux and learning as I go, so please be patient with me.

I have a:

Dell

Dimension E510

Pentium D 2.8Ghz

1GB DDR2 Ram

80 GB HDD SATA 3.0

pciX BFG Nvidia GeForce 7600 256MB

I have just recently installed Mandriva 2007.0 on my system. Everything apperas to be working in good order. The only issue I am having is with enabling 3d desktop. After it installed the packages a window says "your system does not support 3d desktop effects."

In the hardware section under video card it comes up as an GeForce 7600 and under module it says Card:Nvidia GeForce 7 series.

So is there something else I need to do so I can enable the 3d desktop effects to work?

Thanks

Mike

Hi,

There is plenty of threads about this on this forum but as a summary :

1- go to easyurpmi (http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/) and follow the instructions religiously in order for your system to have the software you require.

2-you need to install your kernel and the correspondant kernel-source.

3-install the kernel and kernel source (urpmi kernel-2.6.17.10mdv kernel-source-2.6.17.10mdv

)

4- install the nvidia drivers (urpmi nvidia-9631-1plf2007.0.i586)

5- install beryl-core (urpmi beryl-core)

5-bis go to http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Main_Page and follow the instructions first for mandriva and then for nvidia users.

6-go back to your hardware config (3d config) in the GUI for drakconf and you should now be able to enable the 3D.

7-restart your kde/gnome session, that should be it!

Bear in mind, 3d desktop is not the easiest of things mainly with an nvidia card, It took me a while to make it work, on other PC s I ve tried with intel or ATI cards, it worked "out of the box".

Sorry if it s a bit short for such a big subjest but I ve got to go to work!

Good luck, it s difficult but well worth it at the end!

Stef

;)

Guest milkman82

Stef,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I tried doing all that you said, Everything was installing fine untill I got to the urpmi for the nvidia drivers. I kept getting an error I can't remember what it was word for word. But to make a long story short it did not work. At this point I am just putting 3d desktop on hold. It's funny, I installed the same Mandriva cd on another computer that had an onboard nvidia chipset. I never had to do anything besides enable 3d desktop from hardware settings; oh well.

Again I thank your reply!

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest milkman82

Ok, I had installed the latest drivers from Nvidia and I added all the Urpmi's. I was able to enable 3d desktop. However, once I logged out and then back in all I get is a white screen with a mouse. I can hear sound and the mouse can locate icons because it goes from a pointer to an index fingure.

At this point is there any idea on what could be wrong? I tried editing the video settings from drakx11 but that does not help much. I have seen where others had the same issue in the past. But never posted how they fixed it.

Any help would be nice..

Thanks

Mike