Setting up mail retrieval [solved]

Urza9814

So I'm trying to find a way to pull mail from my gmail server through pop and read it with mutt. I have fetchmail configured te retrieve it, then qmail recieving that, but it just sits in the mail queue! I've tried flushing the queue and everything, but it never does anything. I set it up according to 'Life with qmail' ( http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#start-qmail ), I'm just not sure why nothing is delivering.

Edited by Urza9814

Not using qmail myself (I use postfix) I cannot give specifics beyond "have you looked in the logs?" For postfix these end up in /var/log/mail; I would check (as root) what files exist in /var/log and lower directories with a (q)mail like name and read these. My experience is that postfix at least took some time to setup correctly (largely due to trying to implement too much functionality at the start).

Also, I would verify that your mail system is workin at all, by sendin yourself an email locally, i.e. logged in as 'Urza9814' type:

mail -s "Test email" Urza9814
Any number of loines you care for
End with a Ctrl-D

and see whether that arrives at all. You should get a message while at the command prompt, the next time you enter a command (provided this is not instantenously after sending the email). If not, back to the logs to see where it went wrong.

I have seen references to testing your mailserver by to run, by telnetting to it (telnet localhost:25), but I cannot recall the specifics.

I got it working! Found a few permissions problems, and a typo (accidentally had defailtdelivery instead of defaultdelivery), but the big thing seemed to be that I created Mailbox as a directory, not a file.