Mandriva goes 'mainstream'!

darkscot

The latest issue has the first of the five part article on open source software, starting with how to install Mandriva.

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/magazine/thisissue

I think this is a very significant development as until recently they have barely acknowledged that Linux existed.

Guess it depends. They don't make a huge impact, but you do see some people once in a while who do come along from one of those.

When I started linux more seriously, i bought this tiny handbook and CD set of mandriva -- that got me started, and I swear, that book should come with mandrake. Only cost me about the price of a magazine, but that book and full mandriva CD set rocked. The book not only had how to install, but a basic *relevant* history of linux, basic info, a detailed glossary, and a small set of basic command line commands explained in easy language, as well as some common tasks shown.

Most of the computer magazines here, even the newbie ones have a linux column, and have done the whole five part install thing, so it's good to see more recognition.

James

errrr...looks like their editing staff needs to, uh, pay a bit closer attention:

Open source academy

Open source software is often much cheaper than its rivals and in many cases can be obtained free. In the first of a mega five-part series on how to install and use an open source operating system and associated applications, we show you how to load Mandriver Linux

(emphasis mine, obviously)

Hopefully they got it right in the magazine...