Four issues

Guest G3ck0G33k

Guest G3ck0G33k

It worked!

Thanks!!!

Is there a fool-proof (like for me) trick to see which kernel I use? Besides at start-up?

Now I just need to get shutdown ok... Any ideas?

The failed shutdown is a common problem and sorry to say, I think you have to recompile the kernel to fix it. There's a flag (don't remember what it is) that you have to set. Do a google on mandrake failed shutdown or something like that to find it.

Do you see how the kernel works now?

The lilo.conf entry points to the vmlinuz. All the /boot directory links point to the exact kernel you want to load. If you load a different kernel (say you have several in your lilo.conf), the links are updated to point to the new one.

Another action you could have tried was to uninstall the kernel it was claiming was already installed. And then reinstalled it.

For the record, when I was testing 9.1 RC1, I did an upgrade and it worked nicely.

Here is a tutorial on recompiling your kernel. It's fairly easy to do and takes away a bit of the mystery.

http://www.newtolinux.org.uk/wiki/index.ph...%20own%20kernel

Also,

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/docs/top.php

Guest G3ck0G33k

Ooooh... Recompiling a newly installed distro kernel? That one I'll have to consider a long time. Right now it seems to be easier to just re-install the lot. We'll see.

Anyway, thank you all for you kind assistance.

It really wasn't too hard and I was still pretty new to Mandrake when I first tried it. Just go slow, print the instructions, and make sure you save your config file before you begin. The kernel.conf (I think, off the top of my head) has the current settings. So you can reload that and make any additional adjustments such as whatever they suggest for the halt problem. Don't make any other changes and it should be smooth. Plus you can have a beer after and consider whether it was better than sex :P

It really wasn't too hard and I was still pretty new to Mandrake when I first tried it. Just go slow, print the instructions, and make sure you save your config file before you begin. The kernel.conf (I think, off the top of my head) has the current settings.

exactly is the file "/usr/src/linux/.config" for the source kernel and /boot/config-version for the already installed kernel (the later is just how it should be, just a good practice, not a must)

So you can reload that and make any additional adjustments such as whatever they suggest for the halt problem. Don't make any other changes and it should be smooth. Plus you can have a beer after and consider whether it was better than sex  :P

:lol:

G3ck0G33k, just be sure to have a at least a safe kernel on your lilo.conf to boot in case the compiled one fails and you'll be able to safely test your own kernel compilations