Switching to gdm in 9.1, and artswrapper problem

Ixthusdan

I have a short list of problems. I have 9.1, full install with my /home intact.

1) I like gdm, but the file that I edit isn't there! Used to edit /etc/sysconfig/desktop/. It's not there. Any idea where or how I can switch to gdm? Kdm is ugly! :cry:

2) Everytime I go into kde, I get this warning. Can't set real time scheduling priority. You need to run artswrapper as root or set root uid.

What is this about? I have never had this problem!! By the way, the sound is fine!

MCC->Hardware->Display Manager Chooser

i admit putting it under hardware is a rather odd choice, but whatever, it's there :-)

i think most people are complaing about the KDM looking ugly because it's actually mdkKDM, you can switch to the regular KDM in the same spot mentioned above. (I don't use graphical login anymore, so I don't know for sure.)

as for the error, i get the same thing when starting artswrapper from a console as a regular user.

Well, I did what the error said and set uid root for the file. It is in /usr/bin. The error is gone, but I still do not know why the error occured in the first place.

dee dee dee dee dee dee dee dee

(Theme from the Twilight Zone)

• 3 months later...
What idiot thought of putting the Display Manager Chooser under Hardware??

I admit, it was me.

but seriously...who knows. Maybe they were thinking graphics has to do with hardware so...............:?: