Resizing a Partition and moving allocation

Guest Gazmaz

Guest Gazmaz

OK newbie here, used Mandrake 8.2 but not to the extent that I hoped, and now need to change the sizes of the partitions, so far not found this easy, :oops: where do I start???

Guest Gazmaz

When I said Newbie I ment NEWBIE, looking at those procedures what I didn't like was the

"The procedure I've described has no guarantee at all, as it has not been tested, and more important, it has been written 'on the fly"

and

"Follow this steps at your own risk if you want to migrate a partition from ext2 to reiserfs. Be sure that you understand all those steps, what they do and what are its potential risks: "

I am now thinking why did I ever instal Linux I'm prepared to delve in and do some hands on, but this doesn't seem for the faint hearted, and after all I just want to use my PC, not mess about worrying if I can move/change a partition size, :x sorry bit of a rant there. I keep telling everyone how good Linux is and stable ummmm getting concerned now!!

They didn't really help me, and knowing me I'll try a procedure and end doing a complete reinstall of all operating systems, except if that happens can't see me reinstalling a Linux package! Ooops sorry another moan there. Not going to get me anywhere is it.

As you can see I really do need basic help sorry guys.

You can use parted which is the most comprehensive of the Linux partition managers. Read the docs here: ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Mandrake....s/Software-Docs . You may need to get parted from http://www.rpmfind.net if you can't locate it on your distribution disks. Check sofware manager with the list all files option from MCC. There is also a libparted which is listed in the Mandrake listing while parted is not. It is a command line program which requires care in its use.

Post back here if you have any questions about it.

Counterspy