Trying to DIY with corrupt HD

Guest Pulse-8

Guest Pulse-8

My WinXP box had Mandriva2006 installed as a dual-boot OS. Yesterday I collected my new System Build and there were some surprises waiting for me.

I had told them that my Sys was Dual-Boot but somehow between the salesrep and techguy, it didn't get passed on. The techie told me he plugged my IDE 80Gb SeaGate HD (where Mandy/Xp lie) into the new Intel Core 2 motherboard the result was a corrupt drive error message.

They gave me a new 80Gb SATA drive so I collected the new build and also my corrupt 80Gb IDE HD.

I plugged the IDE 80Gb back into my old build and this is where I'm at now:

I started from the XP disc and ran CHKDSK + CHKDSK /R and received this error:

Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.

78149656 kb total disc space

58356756 kb are available

4096 bytes in each allocation unit

19537414 total allocation units on disc

14589189 allocation units available on disc.

Then when I quit the Recovery Console and my PC restarted there was this:

Missing or corrupt

\Windows\System32\Config\System

I had to put the HD back in and connect it up into my old build and when the PC starts I notice there is no Master Drive and my Seagate HD is down as Secondary Slave and my Pioneer DVD/CD Combo Drive is Secondary Master.

All this is pretty much above my level of expertise. I don't know if my data is recoverable through normal boot up of this HD. I know there are recovery apps out there but I would like to know if it's possible to get this HD up and running again or if it's cactus and due a reformat.

My latest build is Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 CPU LGA775, 1.86GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2M L2

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3, 5575, ATX, PCI-E, SND, GB LAN.

The old build is ABIT VA-10 Micro ATX Motherboard - VIA KM400, 266FSB, DDR333, 8X AGP, Integrated VGA, Micro ATX.

Athlon CPU 2400

Also I have received Grub error 21 during one of the many restarts. I'm concerned that I'll do more damage through my ignorance as I wouldn't know for the life of me what to google on this one....

Thankyou.

Edited by Pulse-8

Guest Pulse-8
Welcome to MUB,

keep the disk out of the computer for now. Which filesystem(s) do(es) the disk use?

Excuse my ignorance of these matters, I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Do you mean the format like NFTS? Is NFTS the default format for a Win XP installed sys?

This is how I think it's formatted and it had a 6GB or so partition where I'd installed Mandriva 2006. Is this the answer you require ffi?

Edited by Pulse-8

Yeah, more or less. I am no expert either but had my ntfs drive corrupted too last year. So I have some good news and some bad news:

the good news: theres a good chance you will be able to recover all your data

the bad news: it could be that you will either need to pay for it or get a crack.... I forgot what the program was called though but I might be able to find it again.

You also need another drive which can hold all the data you want back on the corrupt disk (I don't know how much free space you have left on the new HD).

You could try to mount the disk read only under linux and see how much you could extract but when my HD got corrupted linux wasn't able to see any data.

edit: this was the program I used http://www.runtime.org/ i tried several, this give the most files to be recovered. Most of the ntfs recovery programs allow you install trial versions which show what can be recovered.

Edited by ffi

Guest Pulse-8
NTFS is default option but FAT32 is available.

So I need another PC where I connect my IDE HD to theirs as a slave and install the recovery app onto their HD?

My new build only has 2 IDE connections, one for my other 200gb HD and the other for my Pioneer DVD drive. So there's no room there at the mo'. I'd need a PCI card to expand my options, is this correct?

Also the Mandriva2006 partition is gone? It's best for me to concentrate on the XP partition now?

Edited by Pulse-8

I am afraid I dont know. I tinkered a bit when getting a harddrive but the only way I could get them both to work was to make them both master (primary and secondary) dont know what slave does. You cant rip out the dvd temporarly or have external HD case?

Guest Pulse-8
I am afraid I dont know. I tinkered a bit when getting a harddrive but the only way I could get them both to work was to make them both master (primary and secondary) dont know what slave does. You cant rip out the dvd temporarly or have external HD case?

I was wondering that, if the Pioneer DVD combo drive could be taken out and replaced by the ide 80gb hard drive.

Are the connections into the back of the pioneer the same as on the back of the seagate? Are they both referred to as IDE drives?

So then I'd have the 80Gb Seagate IDE, the 200Gb Seagate (which by the way connected up without any hassles to the new motherboard) and the new 80Gb SATA HD all connected up at the same time?

These are the questions racing through my brain.

I am afraid I dont know. I just checked the cables going to my dvd and ide harddrive and they look slightly different but I believe when cable fit it usually means it will work (ie most pins on plug in computer seem to be arranges asymmetrically so theres only one way of plugging them in)

First off don't try anything else until you have backed it up....

You can use a live CD with dd_rescue on it....

(Kanotix off the top of my head has it but so do others)

This will copy the partitions and skip over errors and white space...

For any linux/FAT32 parts you can then mount this image just like it was a disk.... (you use a -o loop option but we can get onlto that later)

I generally think NTFS recovery is best done in Windows... using native tools its not impossible from Linux more more invloved and you need more expertise...

All IDE drives are swapable, you might need to adjust the pins....

Use the BIOS setup to see they are detected.. you can power off/on at this point which saves time if you have to experiment with the twiddly little jumpers on the back...

You really need to do some researcxh on this because the last thing you wanna do is loose data and by definition its a fairly involved process....

The good news my GF's HDD died last month with bad sectors and I recovered 100% of the data with patience and research....

Research is indispensible and do it before you panic :D

Make sure you only attempt this when your free from distractions and take careful notes... in my case I lost some of the sectors on the system part which was no big deal because it only had progs not data :D

My new build only has 2 IDE connections, one for my other 200gb HD and the other for my Pioneer DVD drive. So there's no room there at the mo'. I'd need a PCI card to expand my options, is this correct?

They gave me a new 80Gb SATA drive so I collected the new build and also my corrupt 80Gb IDE HD.

Is that 80GB sata drive installed on your new system and if so is windows installed on that sata drive or the 200GB ide drive you refer to in the above quote?

If it's installed on the sata drive, you could pull the 200GB ide drive out and swap in your 80GB ide drive and run whatever windows data recovery software you want. If not, you would have to temporarily use the dvd drive ide plug. Since you are not hardware savy, I'd demand that the shop that did this work do all this for you since they buggered up your drive.

Once you have the drive temporarily installed on your new system, I'd recommend the following data recovery tools:

The best freebie one is PC Inspector:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

The best for pay one I've found is Ontrack Easy Recovery:

http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/

But it's not cheap($200 for the home edition). However, they have a free trial version that will tell you what it can recover if you by it. Ontrack is pretty much the Cadillac of the data recovery software available

Another more modestly priced one that I've heard good things about but never used is GetDataBack($80):

http://www.runtime.org/buy_now.htm

The critical thing is to make sure no data is written to the drive you want to recover data from. The more data that gets written to it, the more problems your likely to have. After you do the data recovery, take the box back to the shop and have them reinstall the 200GB drive for you.

Guest Pulse-8

Thank you all very very much for your support.

I didn't even consider removing the 200Gb IDE for the corrupted 80Gb IDE. Great help!

I swapped out the 200Gb for the 80Gb HD and it showed up on my new build as the D drive. So I dragged everything off it that was needed and right-clicked and selected format. It did this until all the green progress bars were done then it told me it was unable to complete the format.

So thanks for your help, I'm really appreciative! :thumbs:

Edited by Pulse-8

That drive can probably be saved by doing a zero fill using seagate's hard drive utilities. For a full explanation see:

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000dd04090aRCRD

After a zero fill, the drive will be in the same condition as when it left the factory. You will then need to partition and format the drive.

Edited by pmpatrick

Guest Pulse-8

Thank you all ... I connected my IDE 80Gb HD into my new build in place of the 200Gb HD and it was recognised as the D drive.

I recovered most of our files except what I had in the Shared Folder which was the network folder. It didn't show up, obviously as my 80Gb was not showing up as the primary "C" drive which has the shared folder.

I tried to find the old shared folder but couldn't locate it so I just formatted the drive but got the error that the format couldn't finish.

Thanks for all your help.