Can't logout/restart/closedown

Clitheroe

Hi,

Just having a little trouble getting out of Mandriva 2006. I hit 'restart' or 'shutdown computer' on the screen, and I just get the black 'X' in the centre of a blue screen and at that point, it just freezes (mouse and all)!

All I can do is click restart on the computer case and opt to boot into Ubuntu and close down from there.

The next time I go to boot into Mandriva, it starts up just fine, but before it does, it gives me a: 'your system appears to have shutdown uncleanly' message.

I'm guessing there is a problem with the 'X' /Xorg environment? Any ideas to fix things please?

David.

I had the same problem with mdv2006. The only way I could shut down was to open a console, su to root and run "reboot" or "shutdown now". It's a bug in mandriva's implementation of kde and kdm. You won't have this problem in gnome/gdm IIRC.

You can change your dm(display manager) from kdm to gdm in the Mandriva Control Center and see if that helps. The dm controls the login screen you get. IIRC if you change it to the gnome dm, gdm, you can logout OK but you have to go back to the login screen and select the shutdown option from within there. You can't shutdown directly from within kde; you can just log out.

I had the same problem with mdv2006. The only way I could shut down was to open a console, su to root and run "reboot" or "shutdown now". It's a bug in mandriva's implementation of kde and kdm. You won't have this problem in gnome/gdm IIRC.

You can change your dm(display manager) from kdm to gdm in the Mandriva Control Center and see if that helps. The dm controls the login screen you get. IIRC if you change it to the gnome dm, gdm, you can logout OK but you have to go back to the login screen and select the shutdown option from within there. You can't shutdown directly from within kde; you can just log out.

Thank you!

Well, it looks like you wer'e right. I've just went over from Ubuntu into Mandriva 2006 - I then opened up a terminal as root - typed 'reboot' , and was able to get back to the bootloader menu!

I have not tried 'shutdown now', but I suspect it will work. The strange thing is: I had no problems closing down Mandriva 2006 before I did a full system restore yesterday - I guess things somehow got screwed up. Anyway, thanks for your help, at least I've got a 'work around' now.

David.

I never had a problem with this in 2006, so I'm unsure it's a bug in kdm- more likely hardware specific. Now I have shutdown problems with 2007, but never did before, due to changes in acpi. You cannot however, use gdm with kde very well as a lot of the options don't appear. I believe, from memory, with gdm and kde, you have to log out, and then once logged out you can shut down the system. It's the same when using kdm with gnome, no options are there, but when you switch to gdm, gnome gets all it's usual options.

I'd expect a lot of this could be related to acpi or apm. As I've seen a few issues here recently where people have had shutdown problems. I think they added:

apm=off

to the boot loader to fix it. If using lilo, and added to the append section, make sure you run lilo afterwards.

Oh, it's a bug alright. It may only show up on certain hardware but it goes away when you use gdm, is absent in gnome and went away forever when I updated kde to kde 3.5.4 from mandriva kiosk:

http://kiosk.mandriva.com/

but you need to be a club member to access those rpms. All that without doing anything to acpi/apm. And your right about the limitations of using gdm with kde; you can only logout and then you can shutdown/reboot from within gdm.

Edited by pmpatrick