Can't install on Athlon 64-bit, Asus M2N-MX mobo

javaguy

I just upgraded my system to an Athlon 3500 on an Asus M2N-MX board, and I have a variety of problems installing. I'm trying to install the 64-bit version of Mandriva, btw. When I ran into troubles I tried just installing the 32-bit version, but the installer didn't recognize my CR-ROM drive (a SATA device)--even though it had booted from it--and would go no further.

During the initial installation, it does not recognize the hard drives. It says it sees the CD-rom drive and asks me if I have any others. By selecting ide-generic from the list I was finally able to get it to see my two hard drives, and from there the installation proceeded normally. At the end it said I could reboot and start Linux, but reboot froze. I tried rebooting in "safe" mode, and saw a message that said

mount: error 6 mounting ext3

followed later by a kernel panic.

I tried booting from the install disc and going into rescue mode. When I tried the option to mount my root under /mnt it said it couldn't find the root. When I went into console and typed fdisk -l it said it didn't find any devices at all. :(

Hi,

I ve got quite a few niggles too with my mobo which is very similar (M2NPV-VM).

1- if I boot on a DVD which contains both trees for 32 and 64 it will only install the 32 Bits whatever options I get. That said, most people advised me to install 32 anyway for poor rpm availability in 64 Bits.

2- In order to be able to boot the system on my cd-dvd reader I have to put Linux noapic nolapic otherwise it does not finish the install.

3- lm-sensors does not work whereas it works on my 2006 version.

I think that s all what went really wrong, the rest I was able to solve using this site or just studying how my 2006 is working and try to apply the same drivers/settings to the 2007. BUT I defenetly find the 2006 more reliable.

I am just trying the 2007.1 alpha version of the Gnome version. It works fine on the live version but won t install. I get (after diskdrake) an error : ARRAY(0x1dc3490) which tells me happy new year in machine language I suppose then nothng happens and the install does not proceed.

Stef

Edited by sjaglin@yahoo.co.uk

Hi,

I ve got quite a few niggles too with my mobo which is very similar (M2NPV-VM).

1- if I boot on a DVD which contains both trees for 32 and 64 it will only install the 32 Bits whatever options I get. That said, most people advised me to install 32 anyway for poor rpm availability in 64 Bits.

Can the 64-bit Linux not use rpms made for 32-bit? If not I probably have to use the 32-bit version, except that the installer for the 32-bit version (at least for 2007) did not even recognize a SATA drive.

I don't think the Asus mobo is a particularly exotic architecture. I got a Windows 2000 partition to boot with it with no problem. Is there another Linux distro that might work? I've grown kind of attached to Mandriva, but I really need to get something working.

Thanks again,

Sam

Well, a 64 Bits install can use some 32 Bits application but the contrary is not true. When I was having troubles with 2007 I tried Suse and I got better results with the install but the same problems with the lm-sensors.

It s early hours for 2007.1, I expect this release should solve most of our problems.

Does your install work with a 32Bits version or not?

Stef

Is the 2007.1 version one I have to pay for? 'Cause I can't find it. If that's what it takes, I'll shell out the bucks for it. :)

I wasn't able to install the 32-bit version of 2007 because it didn't recognize the SATA CD-ROM drive. I might give the 32-bit 2006 version a whirl tonight.

Is the 2007.1 version one I have to pay for? 'Cause I can't find it. If that's what it takes, I'll shell out the bucks for it. :)

I wasn't able to install the 32-bit version of 2007 because it didn't recognize the SATA CD-ROM drive. I might give the 32-bit 2006 version a whirl tonight.

Hi, and Happy new year!

No the 2007.1 is the updated and corrected version of the 2007, it was out two days ago. To download it have a look at distrowatch http://distrowatch.com/ they provide the links to servers,

Stef ;)

I downloaded and ran the 2007.1 live disc and was able to boot into graphical mode. Hooray!

Then I clicked the Live Install icon, and all seemed to be going well until I too got the "ARRAY(0x1dc3490)" message (different numbers, but as soon as I saw it I remembered your post).

But the CD drive kept cranking away, although it didn't seem to be making any progress. I let it go for a while to satisfy myself that it had really encountered an unrecoverable error, then rebooted, thinking to boot into my Winbloze partition. No such luck. My disk is now unbootable! :(

At this moment I'm running from the Live CD. I tried installing from my old 2006 CDs, but it first complained that it couldn't find a CD drive, then proceeded as though it were going to do a network install, but then said it didn't recognize some other piece of hardware and hung.

So I guess my next step is to try to get my system bootable again. I'm going to try with lilo, since that's what I've used before, though I'm hardly an expert at it.

God help me.