Creating a Custom RPM CD/DVD [solved]

manf0001

You could just burn your rpm's to your CD/DVD, and then you just add a custom (or whatever it's called) repository through the MCC/Software manager. Then you could just select it through MCC as one of/or the source/sources.

Edited by jagwah

You could just burn your rpm's to your CD/DVD, and then you just add a custom (or whatever it's called) repository through the MCC/Software manager. Then you could just select it through MCC as one of/or the source/sources.

How do I do that? I know how to burn the cd/dvd do I put all of the RPMs in the same folder? Don't I have to create a file to let MCC know what is in there? I'm still new at all of this.

I done a similar thing once, as far as I know you just put them on the cd/dvd, and set it up as a custom repository/source from MCC. I no longer have Mandriva installed, so I'm just going on memory, so I can't check, but I got it to work without any drama. I didn't make any file or anything, but I may not have been doing exactly what you want/are doing, but it worked for my purpose.

Have a look here,

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtopic=33826

It tells you how to create the hdlist thingy.

You could just try it out, if it doesn't do what you want without the hdlist thing, then try it after generating one.

When you simply put the rpms on a CD and then insert the cd into a drive and then open MCC...Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system...You click on ......Add Custom which brings up Add a Medium in the Path section type in /mnt/cdrom and type in a name for your cd such My-RPMS or whatever name you want then click ok. This will create a source title in MCC for rpm installs.

When later you go to the install part of MCC you will find all your rpms listed there with all the other rpms from other sources such as Main and Contrib etc.,and when you want to install one of yours from the list it will ask you to insert that particular cdrom. Easy peasy.

Cherrs and Happy new Year to everyone. John.

Hi guys,

Sorry for this late reply, but better late than never. This is what I did to create a custom repo in DVD.

First of all, I downloaded all the sections like Main, Contrib, PLF Free, PLF Non Free etc. from ftp.

Then I split each of the sections into DVD sized ones. Thus, I had 4 folders named DVD-1, DVD-2, DVD-3 & DVD-4. The contents on each are as follows:

Main part-1(4.2 GB) on DVD-1

Main part-2+Contrib part-1 (800 MB + 3.5 GB) on DVD-2

Contrib part-2 (4 GB) on DVD-3

PLF Free+PLF Non Free+All Others (2.1 GB) on DVD-4

Updates (800 MB) on DVD-4

Here the names in bold represent folder names. Then, I created a subfolder under each with the name media_info_custom. After that, I launched the terminal and changed directory to one of these main (not Main) folders, and issued the command genhdlist --md5sum --subdir media_info_custom. After sometime, the required files were generated under the media_info_custom subfolder. Then, I burned them on DVDs and added as media to Software Manager.

The only problem is that you can have only one main folder in each DVD. The reason is that, when you select software for installation in which different rpms are located in different discs, urpmi will automatically eject the drive, ask you to insert the correct medium, copies rpms that are present in it, ejects it again and asks you to insert the next medium, and so on. So, if more than one medium/folder (say 5 folders) is present in the same disc, and if it needs to copy files from these 5 'media', it will eject the drive 5 times even though the disc is the same for all 5. So, I had to put all the PLF Free, PLF Non Free, Extra etc. sections into a single folder.

You can also add the DVD media from terminal by issuing the commands

urpmi.addmedia RepoName removable://mnt/cdrom/MyRepoDisc1 with media_info_custom/hdlist.cz

For updates, add an --update option to the above as

urpmi.addmedia --update RepoName removable://mnt/cdrom/MyRepoDisc4_Updates with media_info_custom/hdlist.cz[/i]

Here MyRepoDisc1 & MyRepoDisc4_Updates are the names that I have given. Hope this helps.

Edited by 8086