Where is my modem

Guest chaffed

Guest chaffed

I am a total beginner in terms of Mandrake but managed to install it alongside Windows ME. Most things are going well but Mandrake can not find my modem, printer and CD drive (which is E as the DVD drive is D).

Any hints would be great.

Thanks

Dennis

a little bit of info that would help: what kind of modem do you have? what kind of printer do you have? and is this a burner or just a regular cd-rom?

that info will help narrow down possible issues.

Guest chaffed

Explorer series computer, pentium 3, 256 meg ram, Lexmark Z32 printer, ESS SuperLink-M Data Fax modem, LG CD-RW CED 8080 B (in drive E), Hitachi DVD - Rom GD-7500 (in drive D).

As far as the CDs go, I have only tried to play 1 music CD.

Thanks for your help. If you need any more info, let me know.

Dennis

I used to have a Lexmark Z32 (until it fell of the desk) and it worked with Mandrake. If you run the printer wizard in Mandrkae Control Centre it will sort of set the printer up. For decent results you will need to download and use Lexmark's own drivers. If the wizard can't find the printer go through the normal routine of checking the cables etc. I found that USB worked better than parallel.

What do you mean that Mandrake didn't find your drives? Linux has no cencept of drive letters, so you won't have a drive e. The easiest way to check is to have a look in "/mnt" there should be two entries called /cdrom and /cdrom2. I'd guess that d: would be /cdrom and e: will be /cdrom2.

For CD audio things are slightly different. First check the mixer settings and make sure the CD is not muted. Run the cd audio app of you choice and see if then works, if not swap the CD between drives and try again.

A lot of modems today are so called win-modems. These are made using bare minimum hardware and use software for the rest. Try and find out what chips the modem is based on, and then we can probably tell you if there is a Linux driver for it. (MDK can't include these drivers normally as they are not open source)

Hope this help.

Guest chaffed

Thankyou very much, I will give all of them a try.

And don't worry, I understand about drive letters and linux. I was just talking in "Window's Speak".