filesystems

Michel

I've spoke alreasy about this somewhere, but I'm searching for RECENT benchmarks of the diierent filesystem, espcially about reiserfs and xfs. I've only encountered benchmarks from 2001(-2002).

Wanted to use xfs for media-partition. Read so far that xfs and reiserfs are close and that reiserfs is good in handling small files, especially deleting them and xfs for fast recovery for tons of files. Read xfs can handle files as large as million of terabytes. For the storagemedia of the future. got the impression that xfs is good for media, but need more info...Both will probably be good, but just want to know....:)

I found something of less than a year ago. Although it is maybe a little old, like to have another opinion on it:

http://www.osdl.org/presentations/lwe-jgfs.pdf

I've especially paid attention to reiserfs-xfs:

To my opinion xfs doesn't stress your system as much as reiserfs. That is very clear to my opinion. Sometimes it is slower than reiserfs, but mostley it appears to be faster. This test setup wasn't really complete, because someone tested also deleting and reiserfs was the first in that. Anyway I'm going to try reiserfs and certainly also xfs and do a benchmark myself as soon as I can....

Be aware, these are maybe old test results, I don't no the cuurent version of the filesystems and I think ext3 is renewed..., but maybe it helps a ltiile bit. When I've done a benchmark I'll post them back here. Probably I'll make my root ext3(why should anyone do that? It seems it is incompatible with previous versions?). So, maybe the new ext3 is also tested. Maybe it will surprise me...