Cant install Mandriva 2007 due to hang at install

Guest Eskibo

Hi there

Im trying to install Mandriva 2007 One KDE (free).

It boots just fine and enters the menu where the 2 options are available: "F1" for info and "Enter" for continuing.

When i press enter (or let it autoload the install), the screen changes where a load bar on the bottom left corner appears.

This is where nothing happens at all. Ive waited for ages and nothing happens.

Tried to run it on my laptop and it enters the live version fine, and install works fine by clicking the install icon.

Does anyone know why it does this?

My comp specs are:

Intel Core 2 duo 2.4ghz

2GB Corsair DDR2 800MHZ

Maxtor MaXLine III 300 GB, runs trough SATA 2

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Mobo

Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2 Extreme

19" LCD monitor

Thanks in advance

Did you check the md5sum before burning the iso-file onto the cd?

I dont know what that is, im a bit of a noob. How do i chk that, and what does it mean?

It worked on my laptop though, but for some reason not on my desktop.

2007.1 will be available pretty soon- it was scheduled to be released before new year.

The problem in your case is not so much the i975 chipset, but the onboard SATA/PATA Jmicron Controller, which needs kernel 2.6.18 for proper support (or a sufficiently patched 2.6.17 kernel, which isn't the case with Mandriva 2007.0 )

For the record, the only "user-friendly" distributions that support the Jmicron troublemaker at the moment are OpenSuSE 10.2, Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.10 (although neither the performance is good, nor the I/O operations error-free) and Zenwalk 4 (although Zenwalk isn't the definition of a user-friendly distro). The others ( Mepis, PCLOS, Mandriva...) use older kernels, and cannot see any harddisk present- they even fail to initialize the installation CD-ROM.

You can try when the system boots from the installation medium pressing escape and passing the parameter

linux irqpoll

...which will likely allow you to install the system, but it's questionable if the installation will be usable!

Edited by scarecrow

Awesome, giving it a go.

Wont uninstall windows quite yet then, just to see if its bootable.

X-ing my fingers.

Hmm, pressing escape does nothing. Its as if the installation freezes, however, i tried to leave it for about 20mins and the screen went black for 5mins and then came back to the installation screen with no activity.

Nothing happens after this. And my DVD-drive stops working.

Im guessing it probably is the Jmicron causing problems.

Edited by Eskibo

While the install screen appears (with install bar in bottom left corner) nothing can be done to exit other than pressin the reset or power button.

In the menu i can press F1 however. This takes me to a dos like OS, with the command line /boot.

I can type commands here, tried the linux irqpoll string you sent me but that does nothing, and makes the install run automatically and then hangs once more.

With core-duos you have to disable the core in the bios so that it's only running one processor effectively. Then when you've got the system installed, you can install a kernel-linus-2.6.18 kernel, reboot and enable the core again in the bios. Just make sure you select the 2.6.18 kernel after enabling the core again, else it won't boot and you'll get the nice black screen (well, black on mine) and no booting.

I did that on mine :P

Guest Eskibo

Hey m8

Tried to make it work as you said, but i got stuck trying to figure our how to deactivate one core.

Entered the bios and cant find anything even relating to being able to do so.

Read the manual, that explains nothing.

Do you have any knowledge about how to do so on the Asus P5W DH Deluxe?

No idea on your board, my laptop is a Toshiba, so they tend to have their own BIOS'es, but there was something in there about disabling the core of wording to that effect. I only found it by accident wondering if I could do it. Seems in my BIOS I can do this.

I would have expected though that all BIOS'es should have this functionality. I know hyperthreading on Pentium IV chips could be disabled, so the same functionality should exist. Maybe the wording is slightly different.