2006 and nVidia Controller

Guest nine-hundred

Guest nine-hundred

I've been trying to install Mandriva 2006 but I do not seem to be able to get much farther than just after the lisence agreement, after agreeing, it goes to a screen which says:

Installing driver for hard drive controller nVidia Corporation|CK804 Serial ATA Controller

and stays on that screen...as far as I can tell, indefinately.

My mobo is an ASUS k8n4-e deluxe [specs] and it seems every distro of linux I have tried has had a similiar problem with my SATA controller. I was able, after much work, to get the live CD version of Ubuntu Edgy and an older version of Kubuntu to work using the

pci=nommconf
switch for boot options

I, however, would really rather have Mandriva working, (I'm a newb and I like the setup better than Ubuntu/Kbuntu) and installed on my SATA drive, similar to how I have Ubuntu now.

Any ideas as to why it's doing this?

Nvidia nforce chipsets are readily identified by the kernel. Going to nvidia's site, they do not recommend using any drivers for later kernels. What else is installed in the system? Are you over clocking? Is the system dual boot? Plug nPlay turned off in the bios?

Guest nine-hundred

I'm pretty sure it's the SATA controller

because I remember some older distros not being able to see my SATA drive at all and some that did would throw up errors like:

insmod'ing module sata_nv failed at /usr/bin/perl-install/modules.pm line 302

As for overclocking, nope, I am dual-booting right now, win xp and ubuntu, I was planning to delete the ubuntu partition and install mandriva there, not sure about pnp in the bios, I'll have to get back to you on that one.

Some other things in the box are as follows:

Sempron 2800+

ATI RX6000 pro video card

two hard drives:

Samsung HD160JJ (the SATA)

Samsung SP0802N (IDE)

512 Kingston RAM

And I believe I have a Samsung CD drive...not sure on the exact model

If anyone needs any other info, I can get it, also if there's a way to get to/save the install log I could post that here, if someone tells me how

Thanks.

I apologize. After re-reading the first post, I see that you are working with 2006. Yes, sata might be a little problematic for 2006, where 2007 breezes thru just fine. You might want to get the nvidia driver from their site and load it when asked for by the installer. 2006 was better than 2005. My only experience with sata has been with 2007, which is no problem at all. Try 2007?

Guest nine-hundred

Oh, ok, I see...

Is there a way I can force it to load that particular driver with 2006? It never explicitly asks for it, just more or less states that it is loading it and then sticks there.

If that doesn't work out I will certainly try 2007, it's just that where I am currently, downloading images isn't probable, so I will have to get it from elsewhere or wait a month or so. So you can probably see why I wanted to get 2006 to work.

Thanks very much for the info