OpenOffice

AussieJohn

Have received a beautiful email from a friend down south. The sender tells me there is music in it.

I have never done anything much with OO except to use it for opening Presentations received in Emails.

I have not been able to find, by googling or the help files (what little I did find was confusing), just what OO needs to play sounds. I found the media toolbar and it can now be seen at the bottom of the snapshot. In the snapshot you can also see black and white vertical bar artifacts. These seem relative to the various images that have been added to the original pictures.

OO needed a Java Runtime Enviroment package which I installed, it was vers1.4.2, but I feel that it may need other packages as well.

If anyone has experience with OO and presentations and could help it would be most appreciated.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

you do not say which version of OO

probably stock then 2.0.3..

2.0.4 is out and you would need to try it before reporting the artifacts as being a bug (what else can this be?)

Can you save the pic as jpeg and view it with smthg else?

or is this a mpeg or animated gif?

re sound, no idea

Have not use MSoffice for yanks now ;)

Hello Emmanuel.

If you look at the screenshot you can see that the image is a composite of a well known painting to which animated images have been added. The artifacts are related to the animated images since a single line appears only alongside each of the animated images.

Since I was not the one who did the composite in the first place, I wouldn't know what type of animation was added. I am not suggesting the artifacts are a bug of OO at all but simply asking if anyone might know what would cause them at this stage. Yes the version used is 2.0.3.

The sender assures me that there is music in the presentation.

I have found in looking through OO Presentation, that if you are making a presentation, that you can add music. When you look at the screenshot you can see the sound controls shown at the bottom are greyed out thus implying that sound has been muted somewhere in OO, but be darned if I can find anywhere in OO where this muting can be disabled.

No the images cannot be copied out as a regular picture such as jpeg or png etc.

Thanks for your input though, it is appreciated.

Cheers. John.

Got me stumped..

I had a file created and sent to me, and it also did not work.

Now when i get the file i cannot click on the audio it thinks it is only a bitmap image.

Next when it try to add a wav file or mp3 file to OO impress using the media section, also that fails and says that the audio type is not supported.

I am using OO 2.0.2.92 so not sure if it is me or my version.. Will keep looking but i think it could be something to do with the JAVA and the way it deals with the audio streams.

• 1 month later...

Just to let everyone know that the most recent update of OpenOffice has fixed some of the problems I had with this presentation.

The images operate correctly when shown individually and look really great.

However when shown as a slide show, the animated parts of the images take forever to load and when loaded into place it moves on to the next images before you can see the intended animation.

There is still no sound output either. Seems OO still has a bit of work to do to overcome the Windows ba****dry but it is certainly getting there. Bravo OO team.

Cheers. John.