IBM Thinkpad 600 laptop display problem

Guest StingrayJes

Guest StingrayJes

Ok, I got my hands on an old Thinkpad 600. I installed MDK 9.0, everything hardware wise was found, and working. The problem I have is this. When ever im in anykind of gui my screen is off center, and everything is fuzzy(text,graphics,ect). But When im in non-gui text is fine. The max res the screen can do is 1024x768, which is where I have it set. During boot, I have it set to 1024X768 no splash, and its looks fine. But when the logon screen comes up blury text, ect. Droping out of the login screen everything becomes fine again. If I go into KDE samething everything blury. I think it is a driver issuse, but woudn't that also mess up every display output?? Well Hopefully someone will be able to help me fix this problem. Becides vidio, everything else runs great.

I tried installing Mandrake onto a thinkpad 600 hundred and had the same problems. I never did come up with a reasonable solution.

If you find one, please post it as I would be interested in seeing how you solved it.

Guest StingrayJes

To fix the display, insted of using a flat panel or laptop setting for the display use a generic 1024X768 @60 Hertz monitor. The drive the installed chooes for the display adapter is correct.

I tried that when I did the original install. The result was that the screen was a little offset to the top left corner and the screen looked like it had had the refresh rate set way to low. It was really flickery and very hard to look at.

Guest StingrayJes

Hmm...thats really odd. I just did a clean install of MDK 9.0, with generic 1024X768@60 Hertz, and it works perfictly. The vertical and horizontal siinc where correct.

• 4 weeks later...

My 600X works great, as long as I use 16bit colour, everything else is left as default.

Are you guys running 600E's or 600X's?

Also, for people running 9.1 on Thinkpad's:

1)Try tpb in contrib, log out, log in, change your volume and you should see an on-screen display (there are other features for people with a Thinkpad button)

2)Get the thinkpad kernel modules and the tpctl user-space programs as RPMs from my site, http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/9.1

These will both be in the next Mandrake release, as they just went in to cooker (kernel modules in the kernel package).

• 2 weeks later...