Cannot install mandriva 2007 on ASUS A6B00Rp :(

Guest desp

Hi there,

first of all, sorry for my terrible english.. So, i downloaded mandriva 2007 Free and burned into dvd. Image is ok. When i selected everything to load kernel (Installation, vgalo, vgahi and so on) nothing happen - shows black screen. Sth was succeded when i selected installation --acpi disabled. But then i get error message "Could not mount compressed loopback". I don't know what to do :-( , please suggest me sth if you can.

I noticed that almost all linux distributions behaves very similar, not boot in my notebook. Shows only black screen or stopped kernel messages (last line of message is sth about IRQ). what does it mean "almost all linux"? Well, i tried only slack 10.2 install cd, old Ubuntu livecd, newer ubuntu, mandrake community 10.1 install cd, nothing succeeds :-( except newest knoppix! I booted this cd only with these kernel parameters: acpi=off noapic pci=bios. I tried to boot mandriva installation with these parameters (i am not expert of kernel :-( ), but shows the error message again about compressed loopback. That's all.

Please give details about your hardware: Brand of notebook with a model number would help. New hardware is going to give older distros a hard time, so that is not a surprise. noapci, noalpci are 2 switches that frequently need to be used in order to install on a notebook. You can activate acpi later with a full system. The installed is not very goos with it. Is your system using sata and not ide? More details, please.

M/B version A6Rp (A6R420S58HBp). Processor is x86 family 6 model 14 stepping 12 Genuine Intel, Bios version is AMI 7000620, Realtek ethernet, asus wireless, graphics Ati radeon xpress 200M. It is using ide.

Are there any power saving features that you can turn off in the bios? Also, can you check to see if there is an option to turn "plug and play" off in the bios? The board uses an ATI chipset, and the most frequently found complaint is getting the video to run well. (as in 3D) This sounds like a problem unique to your machine.

Try this at the first prompt: linux noapic nolapic ide=nodma

We are trying to shut off all automatic stuff until after the installation. The installer is not a full system.

Please try a brand name media (or at least a different media) and burn it at 4x. I am not certain that this is the problem, but it seems that the error is occurring too soon for acpi to be causing a problem. dma might be, but you said it made no difference.