USB automount, not in KDE or GNOME [solved]

bvdp

I've been using Mandriva for some time and have recently upgraded (a new install) to 2007. For the most part, all works fine.

However, I'm having a problem with USB.

In GNOME or KDE I can plug in my IRIVER player or a memory card of some kind and I get the new device on my desktop. Checking around I see that the device is mounted as /mnt/IHP_100 or whatever. Fine.

But, if I'm using icewm (my preferred desktop) it appears that noting happens. Well, not exactly nothing ... using usbview or parsing the log files does show that the device is found by linux.

Now, to mount I have to determine the correct device and manually do something like (as root): mount /dev/sdf1 <somedir>

A complete pain :)

In my previous installation, 2006, plugging in a media would create a entry in /mnt (eg. /mnt/IHP_100) and then I would have to manually mount the thing (as user, just a 'mount /mnt/IHP_100 would do) and all was fine.

So, what's going on here? I suspect that I am either missing a line from my /etc/fstab or don't have something setup in /etc/udev??

Thanks, Bob.

This subject is confusing because Mandriva keep changing how USB devices get mounted.

I think the solution is to ensure that dbus and hal-daemon services are running, and then configure IceWm to start gnome-volume-manager when it starts.

Solved: running gnome-volume-manager is the simple solution which just works. Just a matter of adding it to a icewm startup script. Thanks.

Now, I have to add that I think I'm not going to being using icewm much anymore ... since the problem with mounts I've been using KDE and have to say I'm liking it more each day I use it. A number of years ago when I first tired KDE it was bloated and sluggish. It is probably still bloated, but the sluggishness seems to be pretty much solved. Kool, as they say :)

Starting from 2007.1 Mandriva will mount removable media under /media and not under /mnt - which is actually what every other distro is doing, according to the opendesktop.org specs.

It's rather annoying that it took them more than three years to comply, though...

most distro's have only complied in the last year or two as they have moved from crappy automounting solutions to DBus+HAL based solutions. Mandriva's typically terrible at keeping up with anything new anyway.

James