2007/XP dualboot problem

wahur

I wonder how is this all relevant?
We get off-track sometimes.

Bad sectors - would it be possible that windows cannot see "behind" bad sectors?
Bad sectors usually just mean lost data, but if you have a group there could be some issues.

Cause I currently have most of my Linux system installed on those invisible 5GB and everything works just fine...
Just because everything works fine doesn't mean there aren't any bad sectors (or other problems). I would suggest running the disk utility that the manufacturer of your hard drive supplies. Go to their website, most have a downloadable tool that will check your drives for a variety of issues. This is also a standard troubleshooting step when having hard drive issues.

I have not experimented with this because windows is not a good operating system and can only see fat partitions. It reports volume groups as unreadable, can't read unix, etc.

If the fat is inside an extended partition, this may explain windows inability to read it. If it stands as its own partition, then perhaps windows can read it. My shared partitions are primary partitions, not inside of extended partitions. Of course, linux can read anything anywhere! ;)