Mount point: second hard drive

addr

I have Mandriva on a sata drive and wish to access my second drive for storage. I have been reading about mount points and fstabs on the forum but I am still not sure how to do this.

Here is my fstab:

/dev/sda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/sda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

/dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom2 auto umask=0,users,iocharset=utf8,noauto,ro,exec 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=utf8,sync 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/sda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

My second drive is a single partition which is dev/hdd5 in my other distro but just referred to as hdd in the Control Center.

Now in creating a mount point does /dev/hdd(5?) /media/hdd(5?) ext3 users,rw make any sense?

It is formatted ext3.

I make a folder hdd(5?) in media first, correct?

I can probably manage the fstab if I get it mounted properly but I wouldn't mind advice on that too. Thanks,

Sandy

Just to make sure the drive is being properly detected, open a console and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# fdisk -l

and post the output here. That will list all the partitions recognized by your system, whether mounted or not. hdd5 should be shown in mandrake control center. If it's not, something may be wrong. The above output will show for sure.

If hdd5 is properly detected, it's pretty easy to setup in fstab. In your konsole, run as root:

# mkdir /mnt/hdd5

# kwrite /etc/fstab

The first command creates your mount point; the second command opens up fstab in kwrite with root privileges so you can edit the file. Add this line to fstab:

/dev/hdd5 /mnt/hdd5 ext3 defaults 1 2

Save the changes and that should be it. hdd5 should be mounted automatically every time you boot up at the mount point, /mnt/hdd5. To test to see if it mounts OK, run as root:

# mount /dev/hdd5

If you don't get an error message, hdd5 should be mounted. If you navigate to /mnt/hdd5 you should see the contents of hdd5. If you want read/write access to the drive for all users, you will have to change the permissions on the drive mount point while it is mounted like so:

# chmod -R 777 /mnt/hdd5

That should do it.

Since Mandriva 2006, diskdrake works pretty well. You can launch it indirectly via kMenu - >System >Configuration >Hardware >HardDrake. You should have a list of your detected hard drives under 'Hard Drive' (strangely enough! :D ). Select any one of them and then select 'Run config tool' to open up diskdrake. You can access it from the command line via # diskdrake

This graphical tool will show you your drive geometry - partitions and size and formats - any allow you to format, resize, delete, mount - whatever you want. Be sure to answer "Yes" to the "Save modifications to fstab?" question when you exit.

I find this tool will work correctly 99% of the time.

It worked first crack! (I followed the console commands from pmpatrick).

Thanks very much both of you.

Now if I wanted to add the / and home of my Mepis distro but not have them mount every boot (users in the fstab?) I could mount them when I wanted from Kwikdisk couldn't I?

They are sda1 and sda3 respectively also ext3

Here is the altered fstab:

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=utf8,sync 0 0

I've been googling and I guess I meant noauto above when I said users. I think I could do this now but I still would prefer a bit of hand-holding.

Actually I have done it and it seems to work OK.

Here is the altered fstab again...please tell me what I should alter with sda1 and sda3.

/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 ext3 users,noauto,rw,exec 0 0

/dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3 ext3 users,noauto,rw,exec 0 0

Thanks,

Sandy

Edited by addr