Lost Thunderbird account and Firefox bookmarks

darkscot

I have been using Mandriva One for two days and until today everything as been fairly trouble free.

However, this morning when I opened Thunderbird I was presented with the 'first run' wizard and asked to set up a new account. My existing account, messages and folders have disssapeared. The .thunderbird folder is still in my home directory and contains the following:

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/lq8r7t1e.default

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/yild8anq.default

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/appreg

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/en-GB.aff

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/en-GB.dic

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/install.js

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/profiles.ini

file:///home/dt/.thunderbird/README-en-GB.txt

Also Firefox has reset itself to the default home pahe and all my bookmarks have vanished.

Edited by darkscot

Are you sure you're logged on as the correct user? If the .thunderbird directory is there, Thunderbird should pick it up. But now, you have two profiles configured from what I can see above.

You need to delete the extra one, but make sure you get the right one, and don't delete your legitimate emails. Namely, one of these:

lq8r7t1e.default
yild8anq.default

Are you sure you're logged on as the correct user? If the .thunderbird directory is there, Thunderbird should pick it up. But now, you have two profiles configured from what I can see above.

If i delete the 'extra' profile (yild8anq.default) it makes no difference.

If I delete the 'genuine' profile (lq8r7t1e.default) I get the following message:

"thunderbird is already running. you need to close it or log out before you can continue".

Looging out doesn't make any difference. If I put back the 'genuine' profile i am back to the original problem.

Probably a little bit more background would be useful. When I first installed Mandriva I set up my email account in Thunderbird to make sure it was working. Then I copied overwrote the new .thunderbird folder with a backup .thunderbird from my previous distro (Zenwalk). i have done this before and it worked ok and it has been working fine for the last two days

The 'extra' profile (yild8anq.default) seems to be the first profile I set up before overwriting it with the backup. But why it has suddenly reappeared is beyond me!

OK, I have taken drastic action to sort the problem. I have imported all my email messages into Kmail and installed Thunderbird. I will give Kmail a go for a while and if necessary re-install Thunderbird later.

Edited by darkscot

You could have checked it thunderbird is running with:

ps aux | grep mozilla

and see if mozilla-thunderbird is showing on the list, alternatively, replace the word mozilla above with thunderbird.

Seems a strange problem, something I've not experienced yet with Thunderbird.

You could have checked it thunderbird is running with:

ps aux | grep mozilla

and see if mozilla-thunderbird is showing on the list, alternatively, replace the word mozilla above with thunderbird.

Seems a strange problem, something I've not experienced yet with Thunderbird.

Thunderbird uses a lock file in the profile. If the lock file got left behind, it will tell you that another copy is already running. It will be in the <filename>.default directory.

I have this problem periodically, as I have both Mandriva, and Fedora on my system, and they share those files. If I start thunderbird in one os, and forget to shut it down, I have this problem when I boot the second os.

I have this problem periodically, as I have both Mandriva, and Fedora on my system, and they share those files. If I start thunderbird in one os, and forget to shut it down, I have this problem when I boot the second os.

But why did it work fine for two days? Or is that just one of lifes enigmas?

But why did it work fine for two days? Or is that just one of lifes enigmas?

I couldn't say. I mentioned the lock file as something to look for.