Lilo and rescue diskette in Windows

Guest bjc

I have dual boot with M-L version 8 and Windows 95. Making rescue diskette(s) in Windows, the system does not complete the job. In Linux, there is no problem making Linux rescue diskette. Would this be due to Lilo, or is the problem something broken in Windows only? Any help or comments would be appreciated. Thanks,

It's highly doubtful that LILO screwing up the making of your windows rescue disk. The making of windows rescue disk is basically just format a floppy disk with format /s then copying a few files such as drivers and a compressed form of a few utilities such as format, fdisk, scandisk and others. It is more possible that your windows installation is corrupted somehow. I mean, the way windows (especially 9x edition) is designed, it is pretty much a common knowledge that you have to reformat and reinstall every few months to clean up the registry and files.

Since your linux can finish making the rescue disk, I think hardware wise you are fine.

Hello DragonMage:

Thanks for your reply. In that case, I'll keep on "as is" until Windows95 does quit completely, then I'll re-install it. Good to know that Lilo is not the source of problem. Generally on Linux all the time; Windows is rarely used.

Hello Ezroller and Cannonfodder:

Thanks for the cautionary advice on fixing Windows95 in the presence of Lilo, and the method to do it off the CD. I've copied your notes into Emacs and saved it to file "windowrepair.txt" for future reference so as not to rely solely on memory. I hope the day won't come, but if it does, I'm ready. Thanks again.

I'm looking for the day I won't need any Windows or Lilo, but for now I have a few things I do in Windows.

Oops! Cannonfodder: I didn't see the web site. I visited it and downloaded the bootdisk for W95. Good site which I bookmarked. Thanks.