sda not found? [solved]

Guest Zach

Hi everyone, I am upgrading from 2006, and am having some trouble. I have 2 seagate cheetahs, and for some reason 2007 will not let me install onto the first disk (sda). It is not even an option in the partitioner. I checked out the kernel log and apparently the kernel complained about bad sectors on sda. Making sure this wasnt a hardware problem, I swapped the 2 drives around on the chain, and the same thing still happens? What Gives? 2006 still detects both without a hitch, but no matter what drives I have as the first on the channel it fails consistantly. I even popped in my Ultrastar with the same results. Is there a fix for this issue? I would like to continue to stick with Mandriva, but this is making my head hurt.

-Zach

I should add that I am using an LSI 1030 SCSI controller, and the bios is up to date.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As it turns out, for some reason 2007 didn't like the way I had my drives connected. I simply reversed the connection on the chain, starting from the last drive to the first, and bam, everything works. Very wierd, especially because 2006 had no problem with it whatsoever.

I tried fedora core 6 this morning and had the same problem with mandriva 2007. Fedora also works now..

Wierd.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Zach

Edited by Zach

There's been quite a lot of posts on here about sata disk problems. You mention a SCSI controller, so are your disks SCSI then? Or sata? Or IDE?

Reason I ask is you mention hda, which is for IDE disks. SDA is usually sata/scsi.