Mandrake won't load...

Guest garo

I downloaded mandrake about a year ago (3 cd). When I installed mandrake then I had no problems, everything worked fine. Now a year later I downloaded a dvd version and installed mandrake without any problem. But when the os boots up it dose not boot to any gui login screens, it loads to a command line screen :wall: . I figured that it had something to do with the dvd version so I tried the cd version which I knew worked and I also installed it on a completely new hard drive that I took out of the box this morning... but no luck, all I got was the command line screen and nothing resembling the mandrake I used a year ago. Any idea as to what might have gone wrong?

Try the DVD again then when it boots into the CLI (command line) log in as the user you created then type

startx

& have a look at the errors you get if any. Depending on the errors you see you also have the option to change your video card & monitor if indeed that is the issue by typing

su

then enter the password for root. Then type

XFdrake

Post the errors if you are still stuck...

HTH

Please tell us more about your hardware.

In Linux, such things are generally X configuration issues. More info will help. Did you upgrade or install?