Apple [solved]

hirohitosan

Linux on older, PowerPC -based Apples is somewhat different. The new Apples use x86 architecture, just like PCs and so Linux is starting to become much like the PC experience for users of the new machines.

The big problem Apple users have is in getting selected hardware to work on Linux, like the Airport wireless cards, iSight cameras, etc. If you google around you should be able to find which pieces of hardware work and which do not.

I would say that if you use Linux as your primary operating system then getting a PC with verified hardware (for Linux compatibility) is still the way to go.

However, the Apple operating system, OS X is based on BSD and also a Unix. It is very similar to Linux in some ways and has replaced Linux as my primary operating system.

As far as I know, all the important hardware in current macbooks works under linux. iSight i'm not sure of, but wireless, networking, graphics, chipset etc all work.

James

So far as I know this is true....so wait for others but I'd say if you intend to use OS-X :D

Ive been toying with the idea myself and I pretty much think if I have a new laptop it'll be a mac...

They are pretty cheap for what you get, sure you can find a budget laptop cheaper but for the same quality HP or IBM you are probably paying more... (depending how you judge)...

Build quality is excellent etc. as is battery life etc. and much as I haven't used windows in years OS-X is great....

Thank you guys. In Japan the prices for Mac are quite attractive. I'll let you know when my new Mac will be feed with Linux stuff :) .

So we can conclude SOLVE?

There is some fiddling that has to be done to get it to be bootable

I don't understand well ... it doesn't support dual boot? :unsure:

and well ... it doesn't support dual boot? :unsure:
It does, but not as easily as a PC would. The problem is that the Intel-based mac's use EFI for booting instead of BIOS which is used in PC systems. Linux doesn't support this too well yet (elilo, the EFI version of lilo, isn't a great solution). I used a program called reffit to allow me to boot into Linux. You also have to install the bootloader into the partition that Linux is on, not the boot sector of the drive. Basically it works out to reffit loads, then from reffit you choose the OS, and when you choose Linux the boot loader comes up - you can just set this to boot Linux immediately, though.

You have to keep an OS X partition on the mac, you can't completely replace it, just dual-boot.

This article kind of describes the process, though it's for Ubuntu.

i think you can use boot camp too, as this simulates a bios, but don't quote me on that...
Yeah, there is a way to do it with boot camp, but I found reffit to be a much better and easier solution. And it didn't require installing Windows ;) (Yes, to do it the boot camp way you have to install Windows)

Parallels is a good option - it bridges the hardware very well and the performance loss is really minimal (I've heard people saying 2%?)

The only thing you can't do afaik is direct graphics rendering, for anything else Parallels is the bomb. I used it for running Windows XP and it was solid.

EDIT: The overriding problem with Parallels is that it is neither free nor reasonably priced. It's a hefty chunk of change to purchase it.