Error logs and emailing support

Guest ilago

I'm new to Mandriva but not to Linux. I've used mostly debian based distros on and off so Mandriva is a bit of a change. I installed Mandriva 2007 from a Powerpack DVD on the weekend. I'm using KDE. I am dual booting Mepis on this this drive and using grub as bootloader. Grub is working fine and both systems boot correctly after manually editing menu.lst. The Mepis installation has been established for several months. I haven't even configured email on this system yet. It may be easier to simply reinstall.

I have an error showing next to the clock -

Updates: Service configuration problem. Please check logs and send mail to support@mandrivaonline.com

When I click on check logs the only error I get is

Connecting to ...

Problem occured while connecting to the server, please contact the support teamComputing new updates...

Connecting to ...

Problem occured while connecting to the server, please contact the support team19:19:44 Computing new updates...

19:19:44 Connecting to ...

19:19:46 Problem occured while connecting to the server, please contact the support team

Is this the log I'm supposed to email? Seems to lack detail?

When I check /home/username I have a very long Xsession-errors log which is being added to while I type this. Which and what do I email to support or can I post the xsession-error log here?

If you have the updates applet by your clock, remove it. It's broken and isn't going to be fixed. This is probably why you're getting the problems.

You do updates using the easyurpmi link at the top of this page, and manually apply updates to your system. You can also get around 15,000 packages from easyurpmi too, which is great :P

Thanks ianw1974 - that explains that one. I'll do that tomorrow. It's nearly midnight here.

What do I do with the massive and growing xsession.errors log :huh:

Mandriva has only run for about 8 hours altogether and completely froze once. I suspect one or more of those errors are relevant here. I'd rather fix this (I get to learn more) than reinstall.