Mandriva 2007 Free DVD Installation [solved]

Guest webuser

Guest webuser

I installed Mandriva 2007 free DVD in a 10GB Harddrive for the firsttime and I got almost everything working after I read some postings in this forum. Except that I can not boot from the harddisk directly. I need to put the bootable DVD back in the dvd-rom and then it comes up with some selections (just like when booting from the CD),from the selection menu I can instruct it to boot from the harddisk. Can someone help me to fix this problem?

Guest webuser
After you've booted your system go to System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer. When in here go to the Boot Loader and follow this through to install it.

Thank you for your advice. How can I go to System/Configuration? I ran Grub-install from the line command and it said it was insatlled successfully.

If you ran grub-install from the command line, you should have grub installed and your system should be booting. If it's not, then do it from within the GUI like I mentioned, clicking the yellow star in the bottom left hand corner, and then System, etc, etc.

Guest webuser
If you ran grub-install from the command line, you should have grub installed and your system should be booting. If it's not, then do it from within the GUI like I mentioned, clicking the yellow star in the bottom left hand corner, and then System, etc, etc.

Thanks for helping. I can't find "system config" under the start menu so I ran "drakconf" from command line. Set it to "Grub" and click "apply".

But I still get that HD boot failure and need the DVD disk.

Anyway, I think I will re-install the whole system again. I set up this system to learn Linux so I wil keep trying.

If you do reinstall, pay close attention to the summary screen, and make sure all red items are configured properly. Maybe even try lilo, it's the default boot loader for Mandriva, but grub is just as good and sometimes better for systems having problems getting lilo installed.

Guest webuser
If you do reinstall, pay close attention to the summary screen, and make sure all red items are configured properly. Maybe even try lilo, it's the default boot loader for Mandriva, but grub is just as good and sometimes better for systems having problems getting lilo installed.

Thanks a lot of helping. I re-installed the system and fixed the problem.