Looking for a Distro

Guest pfusco

So I find myself here in the forums looking at different options.

My main concern is the command and control over the OS and what I want to do with it, not what it "allows" me to do.

Following that, a nice simple Nvidia driver install would be nice lol

Decent package updater/ installer... ability to work and play right out of the box so to speak.

Heard that Open Office runs out of Konqueror?

How stable and reliable is this distribution?

I run a AMD 3800 64(X2) on an Asus Mobo with a Nvidia 6800 vid card

2 internal hdd that I may want to format as FAT 32 (and be able to SEE that partition) and a 200 gb ext hdd.

Thanks for your help

Mandriva works out of the box for me, and many other people. You won't get the nvidia driver with it for free, but you can easily set it up after install. If you bought Powerpack, you'd have the nvidia driver with it, along with some other stuff too.

As far as I know, OpenOffice runs separately from konqueror, not sure what you mean about it running "in" konqueror.

I've found Mandriva to be pretty damn stable for me. And less problematic than any other distro.

I'd recommend you install the 32bit version, than the 64 bit version - even though you have a 64 bit processor.

Mandriva works out of the box for me, and many other people. You won't get the nvidia driver with it for free, but you can easily set it up after install. If you bought Powerpack, you'd have the nvidia driver with it, along with some other stuff too.

As far as I know, OpenOffice runs separately from konqueror, not sure what you mean about it running "in" konqueror.

I've found Mandriva to be pretty damn stable for me. And less problematic than any other distro.

I'd recommend you install the 32bit version, than the 64 bit version - even though you have a 64 bit processor.

Thanks alot, I was looking at some reviews of Fedora and it got trashed pretty much. I was thinking of doing the "silver" club membership and downloading the powerpack + software and then buying the DVDs for it. Too close t oxmas to spend so much lol.

But. the main question for me is: Will it let me run the OS or will the OS prohibit me from having contol of my system? I need to see and access the drives. This is kinda key for me.

Also, it looks like the installed AV (forgot the name) is only a 6 month trial? Is CLAM a DL option or am I stuck using that installed application?

Will it let me run the OS or will the OS prohibit me from having contol of my system?
Sometimes Mandriva doesn't like when you mess with certain things, but for the most part you control the system.

Also, it looks like the installed AV (forgot the name) is only a 6 month trial? Is CLAM a DL option or am I stuck using that installed application?
The only reason to run anti-virus on a Linux box is to check for viruses in files you receive such as in e-mails. There are only a grand total of 3 (maybe 4) viruses for Linux, and at least half that number aren't exploitable (not for many years). So, if you are worried that you might send viruses in files you receive - then get an anti-virus. Otherwise, don't bother :)

Sometimes Mandriva doesn't like when you mess with certain things, but for the most part you control the system.

Very cool :)

That was I think the thing I liked least in my trial of Ubuntu 6.10

It wouldnt let me do anything as far as my system was concerned. Meaning hard drives, partitionng the 2nd hdd etc etc

:D

I never noticed any av that came with it other than clamav anyway :unsure:

Maybe it was there as an option to install, but I never installed it. You should be fine with this. I too found that ubuntu was rather restrictive too.

I never noticed any av that came with it other than clamav anyway :unsure:

Maybe it was there as an option to install, but I never installed it. You should be fine with this. I too found that ubuntu was rather restrictive too.

he's referring to kaspersky anti-vir: http://www.mandriva.com/en/linux/2007

One other quick question if you dont mind...

If Im reading the Club information correctly, the Silver membership allows the Power Pack Plus (server set ups) DVD download. Or, the 6 CD set.

What are the Gold and Platinum memberships for?

It wouldnt let me do anything as far as my system was concerned. Meaning hard drives, partitionng the 2nd hdd etc etc
Mandriva should allow you to partition, as long as none of the partitions you're changing are active ones (for obvious reasons). Note also that Ubuntu doesn't allow root access (you have to sudo to do anything) while Mandriva does.