X problems

kshuff

Got a problem, just installed Mandrake 9.0 on a Dell Latitude CPx J605GT. The problem is the window manager will not start, everything seems to be configured correctly. I used DrakConf and reset everything, I get the nice color test pattern, KDE is set to autoload, but upon reboot, all I get is text and a text login. What gives?

System info for the curious...

Dell Latitude CPx J650GT

Mobile Pentium III 650 MHz processor

256 Mb Ram

9 Gb hard drive

ATI Mobility A1 8 Mb AGP Video

ESS Maestro 3 Audio

14.1" TFT display

Toshiba DVD-ROM or sometimes CDR/W-CD-ROM drive

You may have already tried this but just to eliminate the obvious, at the command prompt that you ultimately boot to, log in and try running either "startx" or "kde" w/o quotes. Your configuration of X may have overiden your designation of a graphical login and the above commands will either start your gui or give you some helpful error messages.

Does it seem to attempt to go into gui?

Any error messages on the screen?

Any errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log or XFree86.9.log?

If so, post them.

Yes it does, I get the blue screen with the watch which sits there for a minute or two before dumping me into a text login, then that blanks to a black screen with the watch which sits there another minute or two, until ultimately I end up back at the text login.

I don't see any real errors in both the XFree86.0 and XFree86.9 logs, there is a warning about inconsistent panel vertical dimension: 768 and 767, another warning about cannot shadow an accelerated frame buffer, and that's it, all modules seem to be loading.

When typing "kde" I get a black screen with the X in the center for a couple of minutes, then:

cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/kdeglobals': No such file or directory

/usr/bin/startkde: line 107: 1540 Bus error /usr/bin/nspluginscan

/usr/bin/startkde: line 199: 1545 Bus error ksplash

/usr/bin/startkde: line 204: 1546 Bus error LD_BIND_NOW=true kdeinit +kcminit +knotify

/usr/bin/startkde: line 204: xmessage: command not found

Warning: connect() failed: No such file or directory

/usr/bin/startkde: line 212: 1548 Bus error kwrapper ksmserver -- restore

/usr/bin/startkde: line 212: xmessage: command not found

Warning: connect() failed: No such file or subdirectory

Error: Can't contact kdeinit!

/tmp/mcop-kshuff is not owned by user

waiting for X server to shut down

When typing "startx" I get the blue screen with the watch, then just:

Using vt 7

xf86KbdEvents Resource temporarily unavailable

This is true as both root and my account

I assume kde is your default gui. Try running in text mode so X doesn't try to start until you want it to. Do this by hitting the Esc button when the lilo screen comes up and typing "linux 3" w/o quotes at the prompt. This will put you into run level 3, text mode. Log in at the prompt and try starting gnome if you have it installed with the following:

$ startx /usr/bin/startgnome

The kde error messages seem to indicate some problem locating necessary kde startup files. Maybe gnome will work better. If you get gnome to fire up, repeat the above but try starting kde with

$ startx

It may be a problem with the graphical login and running in run level 3 will bypass this. If you get kde to start from run level 3, I would strongly suspect something with the graphical login which I've always found to be kind of buggy in mandrake not to mention it takes forever to come up on my box.

I assume kde is your default gui. Try running in text mode so X doesn't try to start until you want it to. Do this by hitting the Esc button when the lilo screen comes up and typing "linux 3" w/o quotes at the prompt. This will put you into run level 3, text mode. Log in at the prompt and try starting gnome if you have it installed with the following:

$ startx /usr/bin/startgnome

The kde error messages seem to indicate some problem locating necessary kde startup files. Maybe gnome will work better. If you get gnome to fire up, repeat the above but try starting kde with

$ startx

It may be a problem with the graphical login and running in run level 3 will bypass this. If you get kde to start from run level 3, I would strongly suspect something with the graphical login which I've always found to be kind of buggy in mandrake not to mention it takes forever to come up on my box.

That did it, gnome came right up. I've shutdown and tried it with kde, no dice, I get:

XFree86 Version 4.2.1 / X Window System

(protocol version 11, revision 0, vendoe release 6600)

Release Date: 3 September 2002

Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-23mdkenterprise i686 [ELF]

Module Loader present

(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Thu Mar 20 13:42:38 2003

(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4"

Using vt 7

Would this indicate a problem with kde somewhere? I would assume XFree86 is working correctly if gnome came up with no problems, correct?

No errors in the XFree86.0.log other that what I posted previously.

Yes....uninstall and reinstall kde.

Didn't work, same deal, gnome works, kde does not. I wiped the disk and I'm starting a fresh install right now, hopefully whatever screwed up the first time will be fixed with a fresh install. I should know in about 30 minutes.

Are you installing off downloaded isos that you burned? If so, you should check the md5 check sums to make sure you have good downloads. If your not sure how to do that post back or search this forum. There are many posts dealing with this issue. It may be just a bad download or a bad burn. If the files for kde are corrupted it'll never work.

Are you installing off downloaded isos that you burned? If so, you should check the md5 check sums to make sure you have good downloads. If your not sure how to do that post back or search this forum. There are many posts dealing with this issue. It may be just a bad download or a bad burn. If the files for kde are corrupted it'll never work.

No, these were not downloaded. I know they work as they installed fine on the other laptop I just got rid of, the only problem with that one was I could not get the sound to work.

Anyway, I tried two seperate fresh installs, both stop at different intervals and lock the machine up. Guess I'm back to pulling my hair out and it's not meant to be :x

Ok, did yet another fresh install, this one went through with no problems, no errors. Everything went fine, got the first time wizard, configured everything, KDE did not come up, only text. Shut down, reboot, same deal, no KDE only text. Logged in, tried startx and kde, no deal. Next brought up gnome, as before this worked. What the H*LL gives!!!! No errors or anything in the logs.

I don't know???? from your earlier posted errors....do you have these?

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ urpmf root-interface

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/Root_interface.kcsrc

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/background-Root_interface.png

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/kdesktoprc

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/kickerrc

kdebase:/usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface/klipper.desktop

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ ls -a /usr/share/mdk/kde/root-interface

./   background-Root_interface.png  kickerrc         Root_interface.kcsrc

../  kdesktoprc                     klipper.desktop

[bvc@localhost bvc]$

Is there anything in ~/.xsession-errors?

You mentioned hangups during the install on your laptop. This may be a longshot, but does your laptop have a cdrom drive that connects through a PCMCIA Card? If it does, there are certain things you have to do or you will be plagued with read errors from the cdrom during the install. Post back if this applies.