kde menu icons changed

oshunluvr

Do-not-use-kmenu.

Use menudrake instead

(isn't that a sticky, yet?)

Yeah, I used menudrake from the command line.

The full story is; wanted to edit my Amarok button, opened konsole, logged in as root, ran "menudrake", selected "system menu", did the edit, saved edit and exited menudrake.

When I went to my menu - No Amarok button at all! I thought 'wierd', reopen menudrake as above and Amarok was there. Closed it again and restarted X. Amarok returned but most of my menu folder icons (regular program icons are intact) turned to the blue KDE default folder. No other users on the system including (at the risk of having this thread hijacked :P ) the root GUI are affected.

More Icon detail: 'Home' icon intact, 'Internet/Web Browsers' icon intact, 'System/Configuration/KDE' and 'System/Configuration/KDE/Network' icons intact. All other nested (folder) icons changed to blue folder.

Digging a little further; I reopened menudrake and in it the icons still show the folder specific (not the blue default) icons. I discovered that if I did a menu edit and 'changed' the 'Multimedia" folder icon to it's orginal it changed in my menu and stayed that way. I found a hidden folder in my home directory titled '.menu' that had three files in it: 'added_by_menudrake', 'kdebase-basedir', and 'menu'. The file 'added_by_menudrake' contained the 'Multimedia' folder item that I edited above as a test. Complete file contents:

?package(menu): charset="utf8" order="Sound,Video,Graphics,Other,_mergemenu_,_mergefile_" title="Multimedia" icon="/usr/share/icons/video_section.png" section="/" needs="x11"

This directory was not present in any other of my users home directories so as another test, I moved the '.menu' folder to another location to see what effect this would have. Nada - my blue folders remain AND more important the 'Multimedia' icon stayed. So my current theory is that somewhere other than my home directory is a file telling kde what icons to use for my user. All I need to do is find it and restore it to it's orginal state.

Of course - I still seek the knowledge of those wiser in these matters...like where to start???

It should have just been a case of saving the menudrake and CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE to log out and then log back in again to get the normal icons back.

At least that is what does it for me.