Another NVIDIA problem

studmuffin007

Ihave a nvidia geforce 7500le 512mb graphics card installed on the tower i installed mandriva 2007 on it last night but it did not install the graphic drivers like it did on my laptop so all morning i have been strugling to install the drivers i finally got them installed using this one NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8776-pkg1.run (is it the correct driver?) by going the ctrl+alt+F1 and doing the CD then SH stuff all went well i stupidly (i think) then done a urpmi.update nvidia and it did now i cannot login i get my login screen input name/ps word it starts to load then goes back to the logon screen whats wrong i have even gone the XFdrake route and still i can not login

any help or advice please

Thanks in advance

The driver is sort-of-correct: It's functional, but the 9XXX series driver (2629) has gone final a couple of days ago, it's quite stable and offering quite a few new options (like aixgl) compared to 8776.

From your VT prompt (without X running) you could perform some

urpme nvidia dkms-nvidia

and then reinstall the nvidia binary the same way you did before (or the 9XXX series driver). For the stock nvidia driver it's necessary to have at least kernel-sources installed (package kernel-source-stripped), although of course you can also install the full kernel-source package. If you don't then the needed modules will not be able to be built.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for that i uninstalled the driver DL and installed - NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run and now when it logs on all i am left with is a white screen

when i follow this post http://forums.osdir.com/forum/viewtopic.ph...1a97b482d696acd and do the vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf all i get is a black screen any reasn why or is there another way to do it?

thanks in advance

vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

or

urpmi nano

nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

or finally

urpmi mc

mc

and navigating to the /etc/X11/ folder, and pressing F4 over the xorg.conf file- all should work.

Notice that the above command (first one in my post) is case sensitive - the letter X in X11 is uppercase.

If you are using the free version configure PLF sources (with easy-urpmi on the title of this page)

then

urpmi dkms-nvidia (it will have nvidia as requires)

and to conclude run XFdrake.

P.S. if you want the new 9xxx drivers you can find it on the /backports of the PLF mirror (will require manual repository configuration)