nvidia researching

Michel

Ok, I really want to find out what crashes my nvidia.

-I've not checked not using agp-support to see if it crashes then. Say it is AGP that crashes linux, won't it be more random? The crashes occur mostley on specific websites. If I visit them, linux crashes... I checked a website I know of and when it crashes it gives als something like this in users.log(everytime):

Mar 17 13:31:09 localhost xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont (unreadable)

Mar 17 13:31:09 localhost xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/Type1 (unreadable)

Mar 17 13:31:09 localhost xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont/ttf (unreadable)

Mar 17 13:31:10 localhost xfs: ignoring font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/pcf_drakfont:unscaled (unreadable)

I've checked the directory and I have no "fonts"-dir in "/usr/X11R6/lib".

It's at the same time as the crash? It is hard to let it crash on teh other site.

I sometimes play bzflag and it never crashes for that. It seems my linux crashes only for "web"-things. Bzflaf is also over the web, but have not had 1 crash with that and I suppose bzflag uses AGP more than websites...

Can this cause a crash?

How can I install "fonts", so I can see if it MAYBE works?

I'm not yet completely sure, but I just visted a website where it crashed ...No, it doesn't crash anymore. Although I know the nvidia docs, say, may chipset, is not optimal, it should work I think. I get more and more the impression that it aren't (completely) the nvidia-drivers. It still can be, I'll kow more if I check agp.

Have you tried re-building your own Nvidia drivers from source? that may fix your problem.

Maybe you could post a couple of those links to sites where it crashes, we could try it out.

I just wanted to add something....At this moment only one website to my knowledge causes the crash. There was also one accident with mozilla-mail, but that's not really a problem(using alphaversion of mozilla...?). The nice thing is that the opensourcedrivers don't cause ANY crash to my experience and they also use AGP, not? I really want to use nvidia's ones because of their 3d-accelsupport...Maybe in 9.1final athings are maybe better...we'll see

There is only one site that I know off. So the problem is very limited, but anyway...

http://hop.to/dvs and choose "Foto's". There try to click a hyperlink on that page. You can try it, but others have tested it also and with theirs it worked ....but try it and see....

I've read atutorila about buildsing mandrake for your system hee like with gentoo. With 9.1 I'll try that and also build X11. Shall see then, but let me now please...

Thanks.

The tarballs from nvidia are simply verified and extracted, not compiled. At least the ones I got from there for my LFS didn't compile, they just installed. It took like, 5 seconds so they couldn't have compiled. I couldn't find any source tarballs. Try the src.rpms.

cd /path/to/NVIDIA

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-xxxxxx.src.rpm

then look for a line that says

Wrote /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ixxx/NVIDIA_kernel-xxxxxx-ixxx.rpm

make sure you remove the current first, then

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ixxx/NVIDIA_kernel-xxxxxx-ixxx.rpm

How do you know it's not the browser that is crashing? I have visited certain websites that crash Galeon but not Konqueror. I have also visited websites that crash older versions of Internet Explorer.

Glitz.