free 2007 on amd sempron 64

bonebags

having just built myself a new pc and just received my issuew of linux user & developer with mandriva free 2007 on the coverdisc i cant see any info on the compatability of 64 bit machines.

im wanting to install it but unsure if it wiil run to my system spec

heres what im running

winfast 760GXK8MC

AMD 64 BIT SEMPRON 3000+

TEAM 256 DDR 400

MAXTOR 80 GIG H/DRIVE

NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5200 128MB

ANY ISSUES HERE I SHOULD KNOW

any help really appreciated guy's

Guest rickst29

Hey bonebags -- be sure to read their 'fix' for freezing mouse (edit xorg.conf if your mouse hangs X).

My emachines Sempron suffered hung-mouse many times on both Mandriva-one and Mandriva-Free, until I switched back to 32 bit.

Unless you've got LOTS of memory in your PC, and with a Sempron I bet that you don't, I would (and DID, ultimately) stay with 32 bit: You won't see much perforrmance difference, and you avoid the hassles of adding extra packages to handle 32-bit Firefox plugins, and other 'emulation' issues with various Softwares.

The kernel may be pretty good, but the Distro has weirdness on my Sempron. I wonder, maybe eMachines BIOS for USB is flakey with the 64 bit mouse driver? The particular Motherboard and BIOS might be the issue in this very common and unfortunate problem.

Edited by rickst29

Hey bonebags -- be sure to read their 'fix' for freezing mouse (edit xorg.conf if your mouse hangs X).

My emachines Sempron suffered hung-mouse many times on both Mandriva-one and Mandriva-Free, until I switched back to 32 bit.

Unless you've got LOTS of memory in your PC, and with a Sempron I bet that you don't, I would (and DID, ultimately) stay with 32 bit: You won't see much perforrmance difference, and you avoid the hassles of adding extra packages to handle 32-bit Firefox plugins, and other 'emulation' issues with various Softwares.

The kernel may be pretty good, but the Distro has weirdness on my Sempron. I wonder, maybe eMachines BIOS for USB is flakey with the 64 bit mouse driver? The particular Motherboard and BIOS might be the issue in this very common and unfortunate problem.

il be trying it later on as im downloading fedora 6 64 as im torn between fed and mandriva??

The only thing I've found with Fedora recently, is you cannot play mp3's or wmvs, mp3's can be done by adding livna and freshrpms repos, but you have to manually install win32-codecs from the zip file on mplayer's site.

Plus, some other packages aren't available, that I can get from Mandriva with urpmi no problem. I might be switching back soon the one or two machines I have on Fedora.

I also have a 64-bit able machine (Intel Core 2 Duo), but I don't think I will try a 64-bit OS anytime soon. The shortcomings weight more than the pluses- or suffice to say that the pluses are too minuscule to be taken seriously.

Using 32-bit Mandriva you shouldn't have any problems with your hardware, methinks.

I'm with scarecrow on this. The 64 bit distros are OK, but seems a lot of issues now until these are ironed out, namely flash and other things like this. 32bit should still be fast enough on it, and you'll have all the functionality you need.