Issues Xauthority conflict after upgrade

Jza

I have issues with Mandriva 2007 ever since I upgrade. Most of the hassle has to do with .Xauthority and something called MAGIC-COOKIES which creates an error and makes the system not recognize the user of the system.

I want to know if there is a way to fix this easily?

Thanks.

Try:

updatedb && slocate rpmnew

the first command updates the database the second searches for rpmnew files. Maybe there are some rpmnew files that need replacing. Alternatively:

urpmi etc-update

and then:

etc-update

will do a similar thing but more automated. Dunno if that works, the only thing I can think of since you did an upgrade and not a clean install.

It was a clean install, at least the root partition was a format and install. Home was intact thought. But I never had this issues before.

The only way I can get X is by booting to console and then startx.

I would say it has something to do with files in your /home directory that's causing the problem - old config files from the previous version.

There is an .Xauthority file in your /home/username directory. Maybe rename this to .Xauthority.old and then try and see if X will run after this. It should just create a new .Xauthority file.

When I've upgraded, I always tend to remove all the old config files that being with a . (as they are hidden with this). And then I let the new system completely create new config files for everything, gnome, kde, etc, etc.

When I've upgraded, I always tend to remove all the old config files that being with a . (as they are hidden with this). And then I let the new system completely create new config files for everything, gnome, kde, etc, etc.

That is an awful way to do an upgrade, if I did that I would loose all my emails, themes, icons, chat logs, and background data that I would need to keep working. Do you really do that?

Edited by Jza

Yeah, I don't do much with themes, etc, so yeah I just reinstall these. With email, I use thunderbird, so I just move the .thunderbird directory back, or leave it in place anyway, and just remove the rest.

Email's the only thing that I'm bothered about, the other config is easy enough to reset anyway.

The other reasons for doing it are incompatibilities from previous versions of applications, that can possibly cause problems after your upgrade.

I didn't either :P just the config to save problems later ;)

When I do clean installs, I move the data to other machines and move it back later. Nice and easy.

We all have our different methods :D