No sound in Wavelab under Wine

Paul Goelz

Hi all,

Just installed Mandriva 2007 Free to see how far it has come since I last tried it a year ago. I am MOST impressed! I am THIS CLOSE to being able to use it as my only OS. The OS and supported software is up and running perfectly. Most of my favorite Windows apps are installed under Wine and working. But I have one major barrier......

My sound device is an M-Audio Duo USB. After installation, is was detected and worked fine as an output device but was not seen as an input device by recording applications such as Audacity. After running alsacnf it is now running correctly per ALSA and input and output software such as Audacity can record and play back. So far so good.

I installed Wavelab under Wine and for the first time, Wavelab actually runs and I can see the dropdown menu contents. That is a major step forward. But...... Wavelab does not see any input or output devices. I'm thinking that this might be a Wine configuration issue, but I am clueless as to how to troubleshoot it. There is near zero info available on configuring Wine and what there is, is conflicting / confusing. I tried installing the M-Audio Windows driver just in case that would work but although it seemed to install, the driver configuration screen hangs when I try to bring it up.

As an additional data point, I came to Mandriva from Xandros. Under Xandros and the version of Wine supplied by Codeweavers, Wavelab ran and could record and play back. But the menus were blank and it was therefore not usable beyond very simple tasks.

Any ideas where to look or what to try? I am a newbie to Linux and command line interface. I prefer GUI interfaces but I'll give CLI a shot if I have to. I'm here to learn.......

Paul

Edited by Paul Goelz